• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Coast shipping situation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Coast shipping situation

https://www.producer.com/2018/02/concerns-mount-grain-flow/ https://www.producer.com/2018/02/concerns-mount-grain-flow/

Wade Sobkowich, executive director of the Western Grain Elevators Association, said larger-than-normal vessel lineups at the West Coast are already resulting in demurrage costs and could trigger additional contract extension penalties if grain exporters are unable to execute sales within specified time frames.

“Time will tell what the financial impact will be,” Sobkowich said.

“What I can tell you is that (WGEA members) are incurring vessel demurrage charges right now.

“They’re not what we would consider to be major charges at this point but the longer this goes, the more vessel demurrage we’re going to pay as a grain industry and that translates into less value that we’re able to return (to farmers).”

Some things never change....sigh. And somehow that's the farmer's fault? What, are the WGEA members going to go broke if they have to take a hit to the bottom line from bad weather, poor logistics management and who knows what else?

Welcome to the commodity business

What did I say in a previous thread? "Its easier to take from the bottom than get from the top."

No one should be surprised. But the brazen attitude is sickening that they would choose, and admit, to recover THEIR extra costs from those who can't pass it on or afford to absorb it.

.....add in all the other games, scams and schemes and they have the nerve to question the cynical contempt towards them?

Comment

One thing's for sure. We're not all in this together.
      About now is when I get ticked at the hand wringing pathetic lineup that was on watch when SWP
      went below the waves

Comment

We were discussing this subject back in December. ...it's pretty obvious no one gives a shit. ...

Movement was shitty long ago...no surprise.

Politicians can go back to sleep.

Ignorant ****s. Just think if pulses were moving....

Comment

"Rain related loading delays" why don't these ****ing terminals have a ****ing roof over the spout? What year is it?

Comment

macdon2

in whose best interest is it to back the system up to the prairies and keep it full?

The article states that the demurrage charges will come back to farmers bids.

Really what is the difference between now and 5 or 10 years ago

Comment

I only see it as a gang bang, bucket. Take the absolute simplest solution that would likely cost less than a weeks demurage on a single boat and industry just continues to dig in its heels and pass the buck along with payouts to both federal parties to maintain status quo. In my eyes Canada is an oligopoly in just about every industry with govt support. I hate to say it but we need a 7 year drought to reset ag. Nothing short of crash and burn will cause change.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                macdon2

in whose best interest is it to back the system up to the prairies and keep it full?

The article states that the demurrage charges will come back to farmers bids.

Really what is the difference between now and 5 or 10 years ago
                Unfortunately, that's exactly my feeling, too. Years later and we still seem to be in the same spot.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.