• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI a Sale

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI a Sale

F2 barley stored on farm 350 tonne let it go for $205 was low test weight around 61.5 to 62 kg/hl

On a par with western canada i presume.

Domestic presume feed mill to be made into rations and or pelletts for intensive livestock industry

Tough to realize that return in SK. Alberta prices. Malt was signed up for that much here

Comment

I refuse to attempt to grow malt barley...sell it for feed only to have the buyer sell it for malt.

Has it ever mattered what variety the "feed" barley was. ...or hauled in accepted malt barley only to have it rejected once it's all in?
      Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 20, 2018, 09:10.

Comment

Cheap to grow, but does have its own set of headaches.
        Seems better to sign up cheap malt than cheap feed that's going to an elevator. Don't get as mad

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
          Cheap to grow, but does have its own set of headaches.
          Seems better to sign up cheap malt than cheap feed that's going to an elevator. Don't get as mad
          Seems to do nice things to the soil too, makes it mellow. Too bad it doesn't mellow me.

Comment

That's the part that bothers me also. Buying for feed almost any 2 row variety and then goes for malt. Is that Chinese malt thing where it doesn't matter if it's Copeland or Austinson it's malt. Germination of some sort is only requirement? I ve always wondered does
            Variety affect taste at all?

Comment

Bigwheel met a "retired" malster recently and had a chat about this very topic.

Coopers Brewery in our home state export beer all over the world even found it in grande cache.

We have many malt varieties here same as you guys but our best barley for malt was called schooner and was supersceded at least 10 yrs ago if not 12 but they pay a $50 premium for it yields less.

But has best germination and diastatic power meaning they get the most bang for there buck.

There are a few malt types which have been crossed with a high yielding feed and maybe crossed again to get desirable traits. Many growers deliver the feed parent as malt and this malster said they get barley in and it just doesnt germinate properly or something has gone wrong and thats the reason. Beer colour is different.

Hes said jokingly they should import barley from euorpe at least its uniform.

Chinese malsters dont care chinese drink any watery type of substance that slightly resembles beer.

It such a problem it appears that bulk handlers are going to take a sample of every load next harvest which can be dna tested for type.

Another thing he said which you guys may know is they will not buy malt out of silo bags in australia looses its inherant qualities due to extreme heat.

But im with you guys get a feed type that yields 15% more and dont have to worry.

You guys dont have a barley over there called "planet" its a EU breed and grown widely in australia and apparently world wide its a malt but here in aust hasnt passed accredatation yet

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...