• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richardson Pulls funding

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richardson Pulls funding

Spending 1,000,000 bucks and getting what? Basically they think the oilseed groups are pissing away money. I tend to agree although I dont know much about the flax one except that flax has big issues basically an uncompetitive inferior product from what I can figure out its a dying industry.

Anyway maybe its time for farmers to take a harder look. In Mb the Canola and oat growers wont participate in the amalgamation which is stupid IMO.

Yea these groups better get their shit together and realize they represent farmers first

Comment

Canola checkoff in mb should be cut in half.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
        Yea these groups better get their shit together and realize they represent farmers first

Lol! Sask canola spends more on trips to Palm springs than actual work.

Wheat growers holding their convention in Washington DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
          Lol! Sask canola spends more on trips to Palm springs than actual work.

Wheat growers holding their convention in Washington DC.
          Wheat growers is a voluntary group not funded by checkoff at least.

Comment

Biggest issues I see now with our system:
            Market development
            Free Trade Deals (TPP11 most important, NAFTA lesser amount)
            Infrastructure to get grain to coast and to get petroleum off rail and into pipelines

Comment

|I disagree somewhat Market development can be looked after by they companies selling the grain or further processed products. Our biggest issues in canada are competition. 1) can we compete with the likes of Russian China and the USA. 2) lack of competition in rail, grain handling and crop inputs.

Comment

Market development is not our job. It's the buyers' job.

And I agree with the rest but these groups do 0 on all those fronts. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                  Market development is not our job. It's the buyers' job.

And I agree with the rest but these groups do 0 on all those fronts. Lol.
                  |Oh and just for you Klause I forgot South america as a competitor.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                    I tend to agree although I dont know much about the flax one except that flax has big issues basically an uncompetitive inferior product from what I can figure out its a dying industry.
                    Please explain what you mean by "uncompetitive inferior product".

The profitability of growing it or the quality of it.

Comment

I think at 11 bucks flax is a not even close to profitable. It has been there for a few years. Production is a fraction of what it was 20 years ago. There is probably a small somewhat profitable food market.

Comment

I sold for $12.85 picked up. Considering last year's poor yields... Not real profitable.

Comment

Yup, I've been to commission meetings for producers and thought a waste of time occasionally.
                          Last one I was at, I left early. Leave all the (older) wieners snivelling over minutiae to themselves.
                          Yes, the WCWGA is voluntary. Not too sure where all their money comes from but i wouldnt think they spend a big pile.
                          I do think there is value as a voluntary member of a lobby group. One that does get called by ministers.
                          And spending a couple days BSing with American producers farmer to farmer, as reps of their own lobby groups has value.
                          Lobby groups that have full time offices in D.C. Wheat alone has 2.
                          They'll send reps to meetings up here too. There is a level of the govts ear that some of these provincial commissions dont seem to fit into. At the very least one seems focused more on production issues, the other on trade.
                          Or we can let Cargill, JRI and Paterson do all the talking.

Comment

Further to the occassional silliness at Commission meetings. I don't blame jri for pulling out.
                            Huge bank balances already from rail payouts. Corporate funding better spent elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              I sold for $12.85 picked up. Considering last year's poor yields... Not real profitable.
                              Yeah I cant get flax to pencil on our farm. maybe at 3-4 dollar premium to canola it would start to look ok. But it is a miserable crop to harvest in this area as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...