• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Wind. Ugh

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Wind. Ugh

What is with the wind again? Already having flashbacks to last year where we put the drill in the ground and then get a week of 90km wind with zero moisture. Dust bowl.

I don’t think the weather pattern has broken yet.

Hope we at least get a white Christmas for the kids!

A grim reminder.

There hasn't been alot of snow here yet either.

And our soil never got recharged with fall rains. Dry top and depleted sub as well....should be interesting.

A heavy wet snow in late March or good April showers will at least give us a chance at establishment. ...but rain will be needed throughout the summer of 2018.

And the wind can **** off!

Comment

Regina wind blew all night. No moisture at all here but the valley north had again some.

Comment

The young guys grew a good sized crop according to statscan with little rain. ....what's there to worry about?

Use the most expensive seed....it will guarantee you a crop....just ask the young guys

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          The young guys grew a good sized crop according to statscan with little rain. ....what's there to worry about?

Use the most expensive seed....it will guarantee you a crop....just ask the young guys
          Too early to worry.

But let's see what happens next year if the moisture reserves that are depleted aren't replenished.

There could be a reality check for some people who never suffered a real poor crop in their farming career.

Rents keep increasing here....lol. Some people must like working for nothing. 5 year terms renegotiable after the third year....Maybe contracts will be "reneged" on after year one.....LOL hahaha play on words. Reneged is not short for renegotiated.
          Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 11, 2017, 07:22.

Comment

I am a realist and what we had for 15 or more years was not normal rain events where Southern and SW Sask. were Lush gardens and north and East were Marsh. Moose and Bear and Elk moved south into our area. Beavers were like rats, every slough had a hut in it.

That wasn't normal. It has happened before in the history of Saskatchewan when the Quill lakes spilled into the Quapelle chain so yes it could happen.

But when a area that was like a desert could grow 60 plus canola with rain you really think thats normal.

Ah but what the hell do i know.

Its business as usual we have good sub soil moisture and hopefully it doesn't snow much this winter. Nice wet snowfall like this weekends rain will do wonders.

Comment

I like to think we farm in the Slum of the Ghetto in the transition zone(moist dark brown) between the more arid areas and the wetter areas.... therefore it can go either way here.

Comment

This lack of snow isn't a "the trend is your friend" scenario. Not here anyway!

And if things don't improve.... there will be little west of us(surface water) to charge the atmosphere(prime the pump) for rain to fall here. It will all have to be moisture laden low pressure systems from afar. Then as those systems approach Regina.... Moses is parting them. They split, go around us or re-develop east of us. I will pay the moving costs for Moses to relocate.

Comment

Dryer than a bone out this way, I've been doing a fair bit of dClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	766111Click image for larger version

ID:	766111ig Click image for larger version

ID:	766111looking for water for the cows, most places are dry as flour at least four feet down the only frost is from the little bit of snow we had that melted.

Comment

Not sure why there's three identical pictures looks like I need a little more practice posting.

This is a wet spot I dug up and buried two hundred feet of weeping tile to collect the water, it's been running twenty gallons a minute since September.

Comment

Memories of 1980, zip crop, dryer than dry, plowed down all but SMF Laird Lentil, then 1981 fields blew like a bugger in spring and we seeded into dust, but 3 inch rains in May changed everything. Things can change in an afternoon. Hope history repeats, that part anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        Memories of 1980, zip crop, dryer than dry, plowed down all but SMF Laird Lentil, then 1981 fields blew like a bugger in spring and we seeded into dust, but 3 inch rains in May changed everything. Things can change in an afternoon. Hope history repeats, that part anyway.
                        .............foolish kids!

Comment

Sold wheat for 6.25 in 1980. Hardly had any. Would be about $18 in today's coinage. That was a bad year. 85F in April if I remember

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                            Sold wheat for 6.25 in 1980. Hardly had any. Would be about $18 in today's coinage. That was a bad year. 85F in April if I remember
                            I wasn't out of school(1-12) yet! Lol.

Comment

Sophomore year. Freshman year wasn't much better. I wonder what you call it when you're still in school after 39 years?
                              Last edited by farming101; Dec 11, 2017, 10:52.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.