• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congratulations Sask on achieving number 1

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Sask on achieving number 1

I've been trying to bring some much needed positivity and optimism to Angryville, I already thanked the Aussie's for reducing their crop size. Now I owe a heartfelt thanks to Saskatchewan for punching far above their weight in the CO2 emissions category. I don't see how this can be construed as a negative, except to note that all those other countries and provinces need to step it up and contribute their fair share. You can't be expected to bear the entire burden yourselves.

On one hand, if it does turn out that we are wrong, and CO2 really does cause global warming, then all Canadians will be thanking Saskatchewan for improving the prospects of agriculture and other miserable existences in these northern climes. On the other hand, if it turns out that there is no connection, then at least you have given the greenies/lefties something to get all wound up about, and that in itself is a worthwhile endeavor, and well worth the effort. So it is a win win situation. Pat yourselves on the back.

On a serious note, as for Darrin Qualman, I had the pleasure of attending an event where he spoke, and sitting down and chatting with him later. While we may be on opposite ends of the political sprectrum, I really admire his thinking, and am looking forward to his eventual book release. He does put his money where his mouth is( unlike some posters on here) with his own solar panels etc. ( well, technically a large part of that was still our money).

He is looking at the unsustainability of nearly everything that we do, and trying to find solutions, and spread the word. On that, we agree. Where we disagree, is he considers the biggest problem, and bases his solutions, on the premise that CO2 is causing CAGW. Neither Darrin, nor myself are climate scientists, and as such, I don't begrudge him for basing his work on the prevailing wisdom( and I use that word lightly) of CAGW, he didn't do the original science which demonized CO2, just built upon that probably false ( and certainly fraudulent) premise. That doesn't make his original work any less important. Although the programming axiom, GIGO ( Garbage In = Garbage Out) does come to mind. The analysis may be the most thorough and brilliant possible, but if the initial conditions plugged in are wrong, the result cannot improve upon that.

What I am trying to say, is go and listen to him, or read his blog, or his future book about civilizations, energy, food, and material flows, filter out the nonsense about CO2 and CAGW, if it doesn't suit your agenda, but make an attempt to understand the bigger picture he presents, and the fact that we do need to address many of these issues sooner rather than later. My other point would be, it is a shame that all of these other unsustainable practices are being virtually ignored while we focus solely on CO2, in fact this war on CO2, ( and the war on modern farming practices) is in many ways making the bigger problems much worse. There is something to be learned from nearly everyone, regardless of their biases( Even ChuckChuck made a good point a while back).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 7.58.35 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	766104

Darrin Qualman is a smart guy.

Comment

Can someone like qualman show us dumbies the graph on sequestering in the province....and where we rank. ...

No one wants to talk about the good we do....why?

So no one has to pay for it.?

Imagine having your crop insurance bill with a positive balance because they know your farming records and can quickly determine your carbon credit....

A 4000 acre farm sequestering about 3500 tonnes of carbon per year at 50 bucks a tonne by 2022....

Seems no one is talking about that income potential. ..

Comment

Yes Bucket I agree thats the thing no one is talking about.

We have wealth in our soil Yet were suppose to do that for free.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          Can someone like qualman show us dumbies the graph on sequestering in the province....and where we rank. ...

Imagine having your crop insurance bill with a positive balance because they know your farming records and can quickly determine your carbon credit....

A 4000 acre farm sequestering about 3500 tonnes of carbon per year at 50 bucks a tonne by 2022....

Ogh,,,, and up goes the price of fert, seed and chem. The parasites will be there to take most of it anyway.

Hell then, just seed it to grass and sit on your ass!!!!!

$175,000 isn't bad for doing sweet **** all. Then we'll know how some other people feel!

Comment

I am missing something ....I am using equipment that's suppose to be cleaner even though it burns more fuel...but so be it....then there is nothing as a ROI on the equipment we are forced to buy.....

Whether it's a new 2018 or a used 2018 ten years from now the cleaner equipment has to ROI environmentally....right?

Comment

I am missing something ....I am using equipment that's suppose to be cleaner even though it burns more fuel...but so be it....then there is nothing as a ROI on the equipment we are forced to buy.....

Whether it's a new 2018 or a used 2018 ten years from now the cleaner equipment has to ROI environmentally....right?
              There is no direct ROI on emissions controls, never could be, and this has nothing to do with CO2. Just keeping some carcinogenic particulates out of your lungs, but that is difficult to put a price on.

Comment

He probably could come up with such a graph but I'm not sure it would be as positive as you would hope for. One key thing with carbon sequestration is you need growing, breathing plants to do it and modern farming practices do not promote that. Compared to perennial plant species they just don't grow enough days in the year. There was research out of the Breton plots in AB where they recorded a barley silage crop as only sequestering C02 for 60 days in a drought year!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  He probably could come up with such a graph but I'm not sure it would be as positive as you would hope for. One key thing with carbon sequestration is you need growing, breathing plants to do it and modern farming practices do not promote that. Compared to perennial plant species they just don't grow enough days in the year. There was research out of the Breton plots in AB where they recorded a barley silage crop as only sequestering C02 for 60 days in a drought year!
                  Yes grass why not pick a short season crop cut early for silage on a drought year to skew things in your favour , you must be a moron to use this kind of logic.

Comment

So how many annual crops on the prairies grow for more than 100 out of the 365? Virtually all areas will support growing grass for 180+.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                      So how many annual crops on the prairies grow for more than 100 out of the 365? Virtually all areas will support growing grass for 180+.
                      We grow 100 day crops with increasing biomass that would rival co2 sequestration that pasture land produces. I do believe both are great for our environment but comparing pasture to droughted crop cut early for silage is nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by kANOLA View Post
                        We grow 100 day crops with increasing biomass that would rival co2 sequestration that pasture land produces. I do believe both are great for our environment but comparing pasture to droughted crop cut early for silage is nonsense.
                        I too often thought the lushness of annual crops "enhanced with fert" would suck up alot of CO2 compared to native prairie short grass. Can't argue with the length of time each is "alive" though! Grass goes from April til Oct. Seeded crops from mid/late May till Aug/Sept.

You guys give Grassfarmer alot of static but he makes "some" valid points. ;-).... Antagonist101. I think it's a bit of a game for him....but you don't have to play.

Thank goodness for diversity....otherwise we'd all look the same!
                        Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 9, 2017, 21:55.

Comment

I've noted that about the same time the trees leaf out in the spring is about the same time that the wild trees leaf out.

Shortly after (or at the same time) the soybeans drop their leaves in the fall those same deciduous trees turn color and obviously go to sleep. So our growing season is relatively short...as an indisputable fact that is apparently ignored by some.

It has a whole lot to do with the growing season that Mother nature dishes out.

And weeds and forbes fill in the gaps if not controlled (or I guess for those who can spread and market them somehow they are seen as an asset.)

Comment

I've seen John Deere combines that extend the growing season from Sept to as long in the fall as any other green growth occurs

Also seen grass that never got much off the brown stage. Time to admit that something wants to grow every time the moisture and temperature situation is conducive to seeds germinating. This truism seems to escape those who don't know where the stuff on their plate comes from.

And that goes well beyond young kids throwing food on the floor.

When the obvious has to be restated ...it only shows how separated we are from being able to discuss improvements

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              I too often thought the lushness of annual crops "enhanced with fert" would suck up alot of CO2 compared to native prairie short grass.....
                              It might "suck up" a lot of C02 but it causes a lot of emissions to get it to do that - seeding, spraying, combining and fertilizer etc. On the grass front native prairie species can actually capture about 1.5x the C02 of tame grass species from the research I've read. Deeper rooted in some cases and also more likely to store carbon in above ground dead plant material. Management of course makes a huge difference and over-grazed pasture of any kind obviously has less potential to fix C02.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...