• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combine costs.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combine costs.

A previous thread had complaints about trading combines. I do see less dealerships in the future.
    But it got me thinking. Drive around your neighborhood and calculate everyone's acres per combine.
    Here it ranges from 1200 to 2500 that I know about.

Have been successful past few years with three to four thousand acres per combine.
    Rely on early winter wheat harvest and hire some custom work for the extra acres above three thousand.

Comment

One benefit to farming in the special areas is that you can throw 3000 acres through an old cih 1660 and still be done by mid September... usually count on pulses having us going by first week of August helps as well.

Comment

Envious of some for their numbers. But my take is on the range within an area. Efficiencies.

Comment

Interesting how costs will vary by region for harvesting iron and grain drying capacity.

Comment

I think this is an interesting discussion.

Are there any financial benchmarks for combines and to think all farm machinery.

It ties up alot of dollars for the full year and very little useage when you think about it.

Growing different crops to spread out the harvest is a good idea but not financially practical in my mind.

Comment

24-2500 acres with a class 8. We could handle a few more acres.

Comment

Used to do 3200 acres with a class 6. Then moved to 4000 with a class 7. Now moving to 4600 with a class 8.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                  Used to do 3200 acres with a class 6. Then moved to 4000 with a class 7. Now moving to 4600 with a class 8.
                  That seems like a lot to me. No hiccups?

Comment

Around here it veries a lot
                    Anywhere from 1500 to 5000 plus .

Comment

Now you throw makes and models into the equation and a whole new debate starts

Comment

1600/class 8
                        one very important diff is daylight hours . guys like farma prob harvest a lot in August-sept, we do most in sept/October . 4 hour days in late October , all combines are small ! November is worse

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                          1600/class 8
                          one very important diff is daylight hours . guys like farma prob harvest a lot in August-sept, we do most in sept/October . 4 hour days in late October , all combines are small ! November is worse
                          Can you imagine farming in each other's area....I think you would adapt here better than I would there. ....I'm always one issue away from the rubber room as it is....LOL.

Comment

yea that's interesting to think about . had never thought much about it until a fellow showed up here from southern Alta . to manage a retail . he is just amazed at the stress and planning required to farm here . he laughs and tell his neighbors in the south that farm 20k acres that they couldn't farm a thousand here , lol . don't think it's quite that bad , but just seems we're always behind here . had a taste of harvests in an easier climate this fall here . actually said one day that we could just do it the next day or the next , lol, that usually never happens here . we're always sitting on the edge of the seat just hoping we can get it done before the snow without any breakdowns or problems

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              Can you imagine farming in each other's area....I think you would adapt here better than I would there. ....I'm always one issue away from the rubber room as it is....LOL.
                              Exactly. One moment its going as planned, you're the smartest guy in the world, the plan gets knocked sideways and you're thinking about selling the entire farm lock, stock and barrel.

I run an old 1688 over 1200 acres and it works fine until it breaks down. Not uncommon to sacrifice 2 days for parts run and fixing. Aeration with heat and OPI cables have made me a lot of money in the last decade. Im basically too scared to borrow on a newer better combine. Eventually the income tax bill is going to have to get offset with a good piece of machinery.

It "looks" like about 3000 acres per new combine Usually complimented with at least 1 properly automated grain dryer around here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.