• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience using satellite imagery on your farmland or crops? Opinions?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience using satellite imagery on your farmland or crops? Opinions?

Is anyone familiar or have experience with use of Satellite imagery of farmland and crops?
    How is it working and what value does it bring?

Here is a brief video on Planet's imagery and Farmer's Edge use on crop health.

For anyone interested in the techy side of how they generate the imagery.
    Rocket scientists working to help farmers...I find this pretty cool. Where is the value to farmers?.
    Take care,
    Joe

Comment

Yes , can be invaluable at times

Comment

Joe I watch those videos and I can't roll my eyes high enough. A few smart young folks in SanFrancisco with no farming experience are building products to help farmers..oh the irony. They are really well positioned to make Google buy them out for a few hundred million but in terms of bringing value to farm operations...ouch my side hurts from laughing so hard.

Comment

I like the concept but not sure what you can see from space.

How does this help me make better agronomic decisions?

Cool videos and technology though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
            Joe I watch those videos and I can't roll my eyes high enough. A few smart young folks in SanFrancisco with no farming experience are building products to help farmers..oh the irony. They are really well positioned to make Google buy them out for a few hundred million but in terms of bringing value to farm operations...ouch my side hurts from laughing so hard.
            Thanks Ache,

Interesting points. I agree that they need to figure out what value they can bring to your farm.

Not every technology will work but I think fresh, sharp minds bringing new ideas to agriculture is important.

It was only a few years ago I often heard, "Farmers will never use computers!"

Your smartphone now is a more powerful computer than the old desktops of a few years ago. (Phone, Internet, Apps and so much more.)

I like innovation and wondered what everyone thinks. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Glad I was able to provide your laugh for the day. Take care,

Joe Dales
            Agriville.com Farms.com
            877 438-5729 x5013
            joe.dales@farms.com

Comment

Yes Joe you are right. Technology has revolutionized or transformed many industries in the past decade and things are now moving faster than ever.

You need to embrace it or you will quickly be left in the dust.

Comment

More electronics and satellites, whoopee more downtime. All these safety switches, passwords and computer issues are driving us nuts now. Add a few satellite predictions but don't bet your last dollar on it.😝

Comment

Boots on the ground..... until I can 3d print an army of drones that'll walk and weed the crop. I think they are looking to bundle the data and sell it to the trade. However they need us to correlate the data to yield. Ironically we will pay them. If they were smart they would get in bed with Deere. Green machines are on loan to farmers, jd has to fix and they own the software. Won't be long and they'll all be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
                    Yes Joe you are right. Technology has revolutionized or transformed many industries in the past decade and things are now moving faster than ever.

You need to embrace it or you will quickly be left in the dust.
                    I am very happy in the dust, thank you. No one forces us to buy crap. I have been in the dust for 25 years and I am still here, eating others dust, and I could care less.

Comment

Until you have a major issue with herbicide damage that you need proof - it adds a layer of defence that helps fight the Chem companies with their b/s excuses when their products cause damage . The I/R shots I had told a story , sometime a pic is worth a thousand words - or thousands of dollars .

Comment

Furrow, I think weeds, thistle (sow and Canada) in particular have become resistant and bountiful when I look at some of these "lentil fields". With all the chemical and continuous cropping, I thought these plagues were over, we'd exterminated them and all seed stock was used up. Not so, you wouldn't believe some of the lentil fields around Regina, solid thistle. Organic, you say, not at all, it's a sight for sore eyes. What good were all those chemicals we poured on and inhaled for years?

Comment

See the same thing here , not all over but fields that have been looked after very well had issues like you said this year - should not be , I agree . Make a guy wounder why

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.