• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting tidbit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats what we need furrow. Enough of being held captive in our own country.

The west would be wealthy and eventually the East would crumble.

Comment

Klaus tell me how twinning rail lines (which I agree with as it would move more product) would put more money in my pocket, freight rates wouldn't go down, unless your suggesting they bring back the crow rate.This would be a government subsidy, I thought your a Libertarian.

More grain movement doesn't mean higher returns to farmer, there is a glut of wheat in the world market and every country can grow it. The Black Sea blows out their product every year which drops the world market price every year. That's the underlying factor! Have you not notice Ukraine and Russia's proximity to the Black Sea?

Your pipe dream about dredging the Sk River to Churchill and using it as a port has been smoke way to many times. Not economical many have tried and have failed. importers done't want to use it, bottom line. Why you would mention a study that was conducted in the 1930s stating Churchill is feasible, that's 80 years ago many things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
        Klaus tell me how twinning rail lines (which I agree with as it would move more product) would put more money in my pocket, freight rates wouldn't go down, unless your suggesting they bring back the crow rate.This would be a government subsidy, I thought your a Libertarian.

More grain movement doesn't mean higher returns to farmer, there is a glut of wheat in the world market and every country can grow it. The Black Sea blows out their product every year which drops the world market price every year. That's the underlying factor! Have you not notice Ukraine and Russia's proximity to the Black Sea?

Your pipe dream about dredging the Sk River to Churchill and using it as a port has been smoke way to many times. Not economical many have tried and have failed. importers done't want to use it, bottom line. Why you would mention a study that was conducted in the 1930s stating Churchill is feasible, that's 80 years ago many things have changed.

Yup you're right. Let's sit on our ass and watch as we turn into a third world country. I like my standard of living. Don't you? Unless we keep up with our competition our standard of living will drop significantly

Comment

All these ideas to increase efficiencies, have less to do with the spending/finance that would be needed for these projects, and way more to do with the regulation, enviroNazis, and particularly the Canadian courts.

Dredging the S.Sask is a great idea, but it's a pipe dream because enviroNazis and the left leaning Supreme court would never approve it. Would there ever be a federal government that would use "not withstanding" to push a project through. Where would our international standing be? with other trading partners? U.N.? et al?

Don't think there won't be enviro challenges to twinning rail lines either. Courts make law now days.

Would doubling track on a path to the Mississippi be a more realistic possibility? How far north are grain barges loaded? Minneapolis?

Foragey/grasseyfarmer

Moving grain on waterways is not all that! Here's a report done regarding moving grain on the Missouri to get it to the Mississippi River for shipping.

[URL="https://iatp.org/files/Past_and_Future_Grain_Traffic_on_the_Missouri_.pdf "]https://iatp.org/files/Past_and_Future_Grain_Traffic_on_the_Missouri_.pdf[/URL]

Here are the conclusions;

• Commercial barge traffic has been declining on the Missouri River since 1977.
          • Wheat shipments, over one-third of all commercial traffic on the Missouri River in
          1979, have almost disappeared.
          • The reasons for these dramatic declines in Missouri River barge traffic are reduced
          wheat production, a highly competitive railroad system, high Missouri River barge
          costs, and rapidly growing local and domestic markets.
          • There is little reason to believe that these trends will be reversed on a long-term basis.
          • The public cost of providing navigation on the Missouri River exceeds the benefits to
          shippers.
          • An open public debate is needed to evaluate alternative navigation investment
          strategies on the Missouri River and other low-volume rivers. Farmers like Steve
          Swanson need to be involved in these debates.
          Last edited by danny W1M; Nov 7, 2017, 09:39.

Comment

I wonder where Chuck and grassy stand on building a high speed passenger train network....

Connect cities with more than 200,000 people... You could take how many cars off the road.

Would do a lot more for the environment than what a carbon tax would do.

The US got w lot of use out of the barge system during the time they spent as a major grain exporter... Today they have enough mouths to feed that exporting isn't as important anymore.

Canada is very different... Huge breadbasket tiny population.

Comment

Railways

Twinning lines would make passenger cargo feasible, airlines would lose a lot of traffic, possibly not survive in domestic passenger competition. Dredging to Churchill or even rail to Churchill would remove too much grain freight to Ontario and Quebec, Richardsons, Cargill et al would not have control.
              Tech advances likely make it feasible now compared to old feasibility studies but not gonna happen. Stepping on somebody's toes.

Comment

For all those commenting on the dredging of the Sk River to Churchill, if it could make shipping more efficient and cost effective, why hasn't Potash Corp not looked into it?

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                  For all those commenting on the dredging of the Sk River to Churchill, if it could make shipping more efficient and cost effective, why hasn't Potash Corp not looked into it?

Because they are a potash mine ? That's the same as asking why didn't pics build their own railway

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                    I wonder where Chuck and grassy stand on building a high speed passenger train network....

Connect cities with more than 200,000 people... You could take how many cars off the road.

Would do a lot more for the environment than what a carbon tax would do.

The US got w lot of use out of the barge system during the time they spent as a major grain exporter... Today they have enough mouths to feed that exporting isn't as important anymore.

Canada is very different... Huge breadbasket tiny population.
                    Right on Klaus, a carbon tax is a tax and has no measurable benefit. I suppose the carbon tax plan was to invest the money from the tax in environmental programs. With Morneau the tax will no doubt go to his friends and his companies of course. We need concrete action on the environment. A railway system to serve small communities would do more for the environment and the economy. Rail passenger service absolutely

Trucks hauling grain hundreds of miles before it goes by train is insanity. A carbon tax will pass those trucking costs onto the farmer. Rail transportation is known to be 10 times more energy efficient than truck. Why are the railways and highways treated differently?

Grain transportation needs to be organized. The Canadian Wheat Board also did a great deal for the environment and the efficient movement of grain.

Grain production the the prairies has never been viable without a Canadian Wheat Board. With $4.20 1RS wheat low protein wheat farmers need a Canadian Wheat Board. Malt barley and durum used to be go to crops for many farmers and that was because of the Canadian Wheat Board.

Producer car loaders also had a market for their wheat with the CWB, no wonder the car loading sites are being shut down. The rail line to the port of Churchill was financially viable because of the Canadian Wheat Board.

Finally since the CWB was eliminated farmers have lost billions in revenue.
                    Last edited by Integrity_Farmer; Nov 7, 2017, 14:46. Reason: clariication

Comment

IF - agree on most thing but the CWB illusion.
                      Just sold some more HRSW for $7.40 , delivered and will get a check for 100% of it . That was a pipe dream with the CWB .
                      Sorry but agree and disagree with ya

Comment

Also had to sell hrsw with frost damage in 2004 through the board for well under $3 and had to wait 18 months to get paid that full amount . Regardless the CWB is gone and would do nothing to help us today . It's really irrelevant to even bring it up any more .

Comment

We are the highest cost producer in the world. Highest inputs, cold climate, short season, ridiculous taxes and equipment costs, tax government policy that will makes us even less competitive. Far away from key markets. We need demand to keep rising, other countries will continue to ramp up production.

Comment

I agree Klause! U might be only able to use it half the year but would save us alot in the long run. Anything can be done just costs money. Beauracracy would be the biggest hurdle. CN and CP would have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...