• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combine costs.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    That seems like a lot to me. No hiccups?
    First of all, I am cheap. But ya, there have been plenty of hiccups. From time to time I have had the neighbors do alittle custom work. But I couldn't pay for another machine with all the custom work I have had done.

When we did 3200 a machine on our class 6 combines we didn't even have a trucker. Just my brother and I filling trucks until they were almost full and then one guy shutting down until they were empty. We averaged 500 engine hours a year. We couldn't afford downtime so we Green lighted them every second year. Our dealer was shocked at the hours we put on.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
      First of all, I am cheap. But ya, there have been plenty of hiccups. From time to time I have had the neighbors do alittle custom work. But I couldn't pay for another machine with all the custom work I have had done.

When we did 3200 a machine on our class 6 combines we didn't even have a trucker. Just my brother and I filling trucks until they were almost full and then one guy shutting down until they were empty. We averaged 500 engine hours a year. We couldn't afford downtime so we Green lighted them every second year. Our dealer was shocked at the hours we put on.
      I like the hours per year comparison. Old timers here say max is 150hours on a machine so you need to have a size or multiples to make that work. Like someone said depends a lot on time of year. Lots of guys talk bu per hour or day etc but that slows down huge in tough conditions. We're normally October harvesters.

We run a class8 on 1100ac and that's ok but wouldn't want much more.

I'd be even more interested in equipment overhead value per bushel or gross revenue. Bet that would vary a lot. We would have a good gross per acre here but also likely have higher equip costs per acre too.

I'm likely known as a cheap ass on equipment too, but do like to have some jingle in the jeans at the end of the year.

Comment

1400 acres with 2 class 6. Just figured out, total cost of ownership including purchase price of combines and headers works out to $6.30 per acre.

90% of cereals through these have been flat on the ground, and yielding accordingly. Since it never rained all summer, I had the pleasure of combining most the first wheat field this year standing. What a difference in productivity. Then it snowed and every crop was flat on the ground as usual, easily takes twice as long per acre, dirt, rocks, slower travel speed, having to run all of the straw through, vs. just clipping the heads.

Our harvest window can be incredibly short, and always late in the year. Last year, our harvest window was 3 or 4 very poor days in September, and a few more days in mid November.

Comment

I'm sliding down a 100ft pole covered in razor blades using my balls for brakes. Got caught last year in the snow with way too much out till spring. But till then been over 4000 and as high as 5500 with 1 class 8. Called in a neighbor this year and he did less then 500 for me. Pre sell a bunch and it goes early. Hold the dry till last and use air to keep the close stuff in condition. First in the bag, first out. I should probably own a truck. Paint depreciates. Payments suck. Own the DOW.
          Last edited by macdon02; Nov 5, 2017, 02:01.

Comment

We have lost a lot over the years, grade, weight, yield etc
            Math was my worst subject, but I try.

$500,000 combine payments or depreciation what ever you want to call it, should be about $50,000 year +/-

So if you want another combine that’s the number you need to be close to.

100 acres x 50bu crop = 5,000 bu of production

If you loose a $1.00 per bushel due to grade, weight, snow, rain, ducks, mice, snow etc
            5000 bu x $1 bu = $5,000 for every 100 acres potential loss or income maintained ( Insurance?)
            - plus you have to figure in man power, trucking, fuel, auger etc ( I’ll leave all that aside )

So if you need help, due to # acres, poor weather, bumper crop, etc. And that last 1000 acres is tough to harvest then multiply:
            100 ac x 10 = 1000 acres
            $5000 x10 = $50,000 or target justification number

Twist the numbers any way you need to, right or wrong, affordability, risk, etc

Comment

For sure. All good points. I think all metrics would need to be region specific. All iron has capacity platueas as well. Too much for 1 not enough for 2. Or I've also seen that with multiples the acres per goes down.
              Either way I've started to look around and start to feel a little proud of what I accomplish compared to some others in my area.
              Now with that all said. Again perhaps region or operation specific, whats the cheapest way to own a combine? Doing complete teardowns in winter i suppose, but this stuff only reliable so long if too many acres per. And parts expensive.
              I think theres a cost per hour that most are probably stuck near regardless?

Comment

So next question is, what is the best combine to buy 2 or 3 years old and keep for 7 to 10 years. JD dealer says my 9870's are by far the best parts revenue money source in JD line.

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
                  So next question is, what is the best combine to buy 2 or 3 years old and keep for 7 to 10 years. JD dealer says my 9870's are by far the best parts revenue money source in JD line.

A Lexion? After 2-3 years all the bugs are woekes out and they don't really wear out for 2k separator hours...

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
                    Just wants you to trade.
                    The neighbors with the s combines have alot of down time.
                    That is why Pattinson has so many on their used site..guys flip them for a reason other than having to much money.

Comment

hard to beat a 9770. simple and easy on fuel. Not too many other colors that are that light on fuel. 9870 does same thing with 50% more fuel.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...