• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Window into our future

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    It just puts it into perspective what we are talking about in terms of carbon tax versus other types of taxes. Predicting the end of the world because of a carbon tax does not make sense. Other forms of taxes are much more significant.
    Oh I see, chucky, it's merely a matter of comparison.

So by comparison, you're saying that it's far better to get stabbed with only a steak knife after you've already been stabbed 10 or 20 times with a butcher knife...

Okay sure, I guess that makes sense. What a great logic you employ chucky boy!

Comment

Canada has a better health care system, education system and social programs than the US that give the majority of Canadians a better standard of living. Personal taxes may be lower in the US but healthcare costs erode any benefits. Bankruptcy because of health care costs are the number one cause of personal bankruptcy in the US.

The US will also increase its deficit and ad to its debt by cutting taxes. Clearly their tax cuts are for wealthy Amercians and corporations not lower and middle income americans. Trump's tax plans benefit the wealthiest Americans but will have little benefit for the rest.
      I see, By that logic we should just tax 100% of every transaction then. Our social programs will be better than the US by every measure then, Except that revenues will fall to zero, Since 100% of the incentive to work or operate a business will have been destroyed. Meanwhile the US tax structure Will accept all of those businesses and workers. Who will continue to fund their sustainable social programs well ours collapsed completely.

Except in the real world taxes don't need to get to 100% for this to start happening. The Exodus is already happening to two disincentives here and incentives there.

Comment

Regarding healthcare, Is it better to be healthy and bankrupt or Dead waiting in line for "free" service? Because that is a real question many people have to ask themselves here.

Comment

Canada collects 1.1% of GDP in environmental taxes. Germany and Australia collect almost 2%. All governments in Canada collect almost 40% of GDP in taxes. So even if environmental taxes double or triple the percentage of GDP is relatively very small.
          Let's look at the price of gas. My sister lives in Austrailia. They pay roughly $1.60-$1.70 for gas. If our gas price was raised to this level you think it would have a minor affect? Natural gas for heating. At $20 per tonne I will pay roughly $250 this year. At $50 dollars a tonne this will be $625. Yeah, not so much in your world. Now I use roughly 30000 litres of fuel per year. Imagine if that increased by 40 cents a litre to satisfy the enviro's, $12000 dollars, is that insignificant? That doesn't take into account higher fertilizer prices, higher trucking costs, on and on. Would certainly be more than 1% increase in taxes on the farm!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            Better health care system? Really? Have you tried them both? We have and the US health system is pretty darn good. The spin-off of low corp taxes, equipment tax credits, and double child credits will be multiplied and set that economy spinning. Have you heard of the multiplier in economics? If you haven't seen the results of Trump policy yet, you will very soon and it won't be pretty for the economies that are living in la-la land.
            Yes our health care system is better. Lower cost per capita, universal coverage whether rich or poor. Rich americans might get better access and better care but 10s of millions of Americans have no health care insurance and cant afford healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              Regarding healthcare, Is it better to be healthy and bankrupt or Dead waiting in line for "free" service? Because that is a real question many people have to ask themselves here.
              You may wait in line for elective surgery and some diagnostics. But generally our system is working pretty well except for drug coverage. In the US you will likely be both bankrupt, really sick and then dead if you happen to have a chronic illness or a bad accident without insurance. If you think their system is better there is nothing to stop you from travelling to the US to buy their services.
              Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 20, 2017, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                I see, By that logic we should just tax 100% of every transaction then. Our social programs will be better than the US by every measure then, Except that revenues will fall to zero, Since 100% of the incentive to work or operate a business will have been destroyed. Meanwhile the US tax structure Will accept all of those businesses and workers. Who will continue to fund their sustainable social programs well ours collapsed completely.

Except in the real world taxes don't need to get to 100% for this to start happening. The Exodus is already happening to two disincentives here and incentives there.
                "By that logic we should just tax 100% of every transaction then. " No one is suggesting that.
                If you think the US system is better and farmers are better off why not move there?

Comment

Now Trump lifted the 40 year ban on oil exploration in Alaska. Nutlet will be calling for your support Chucky and Grassy.
                  Last edited by sumdumguy; Dec 20, 2017, 12:15.

Comment

Darn spellcheck.

Comment

Did some quick fact checking. Regular gas in Canberra where my sister lives(she runs premium in her car) is $1.30 litre of which 42% is tax or just over 54 cents a litre. In Alberta we pay roughly 30 cents a litre including carbon tax and gst. So I was wrong the price increase would be 24 cents a litre not 40 so only a tax increase of $7200 dollars.

Comment

Way to go Hamloc! You just made 4800 bucks!

Comment

chuckChuck I just don't understand the way you think. Its like you are hollering TAX ME!

Doesn't it bother you that you work hard to make money for your family and the government takes a big chunk of it and throws it down a rabbit hole?
                          Last edited by seldomseen; Dec 20, 2017, 18:09.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                            Now Trump lifted the 40 year ban on oil exploration in Alaska.
                            Yeah, in the National Arctic Wildlife Refuge no less, with oil prices down where they are - what a dumbass.

Comment

"By that logic we should just tax 100% of every transaction then. " No one is suggesting that.
                              If you think the US system is better and farmers are better off why not move there?
                              Don't need to tax 100%, just marginally more than the next door jurisdiction. So far, you and Grassfarmer have been in favour of every increased tax that has been proposed, do you have an upward limit?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.