• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Friday Crop Report of the Year! Winter is coming!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished up bush piles that I tramped before the rains started. Totally rotten and some regrowth soft in centre but ground firming up nice.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
      For sure a track hoe would fit in here nice but lots of money to buy so just using the old fashioned method. Push the piles out with a dozer then throw all the wood in a pile to burn and pick the rocks with a front end loader. I don't really need another engine to change oil in.
      We bought a Pocclain 160 for $16,000 a few years ago. Real handy machine and big enough to do damage. Pretty cheap I'd you know where to find them.

Comment

Thanks SF3 for all the updates!

We finished up harvest Sunday night and Tuesday the rain and snow started and is still slowly adding up.

Now we are trenching in 3 miles of 2 inch water line which is fun at -12. At least the snow is keeping the frost away till you disturb the ground. I'll second what the others have said about a hoe and their usefulness since we put 2-300 hours a year on our Deere 690 E. My dad never had tonka toys as a kid he just gets the real thing now😎

Helping my brother with backfilling where we tied into the yard water line.

Still have about 3,000 of these to pick yet..... sure glad the bale truck has full locking diffs and new tires.

Comment

Thanks Woodland. The Western Star looks to be in great shape. F series?

Comment

Always liked the look of those westerns!

Comment

Woodland did your green count decrease much in your last canola?

Good to hear you finished. 👍🏻

Comment

Thanks Woodland i really enjoy your pictures and help.

Glad your all done harvest.

I see TX66 and is the Cat a D7

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d52.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	766060

Regina Had Snow

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                    Woodland did your green count decrease much in your last canola?

Good to hear you finished. 👍🏻
                    Thanks Oliver.

It feels nice that next year has the possibility of being "normal" whatever that is anymore. This spring when we seeded I set my expectations at 0 that way I wouldn't be disappointed now. 😜

We haven't checked the greens or moisture on the last few fields but both were probably as high as the first stuff 15%+

Might be a little less after we opened the concave to avoid threshing the silage like plants and plugging the cylinder 😉

My brother should finish the barley drying today which has been taking longer than planned and then we can try out the vertec and get our samples then. Hopefully 🤞

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                      Always liked the look of those westerns!
                      I like it too except you can hide a Toyota in the blind spot in front of you. 425 Cat that likes to roll some black smoke and the smoothest riding truck on the place with a daycab to boot makes it the favourite here.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                        Thanks Woodland. The Western Star looks to be in great shape. F series?
                        Not sure of the model but it's an '88 that's in as good of shape as our '07 IHC. I've got a twin and so does lots of our equipment. It's brother is a blue '89 WS winch truck in rougher shape since it was previously a logging truck.

" F series" to me means funky transmission since it's a 15 speed with the backwards shift pattern. Gets me every time after running a 13 or 18 speed😉

Comment

4964F replaced the 4964-2 about 1985-6. Blind spot in front was bigger on the -2

Comment

SF3 you nailed the combines but it's a little D6C that my dad has owned for over 30 years and it's cleared thousands of acres for us and the neighbors.

You guys on here help fill a void since I have lost a lot of the neighbors to the coal mine buying them out and moving away.

Kinda realized this out taking some bales to our yearlings grazing the former home quarter of my best friend. He's now 50 miles away instead of 3. This was two years ago and that's when I joined here and another forum. The last few neighbors left here are about the same size as us but would gladly throw you under the bus for a chunk of ground so I don't socialize much with them.

Doesn't look like much now with the bins and corrals gone but it supported a family and there's many more like it here. It'll probably be dozed over next year. Some call it progress but one neighbor calls it a cancer slowly killing our community. I side with the neighbor.

Comment

Woodland. There isn't too much worth clearing in our neighborhood. There's more tree lined sloughs north of us but south is really barren (we're on the fringe of both).... a bit of cropland can be gained by clearing the trees around the sloughs but you still end up with a water hole. Drainage....consolidation on your own land maybe but dumping it on someone else isn't a solution. Sometimes there just isn't an appropriate/adequate outlet for it to go anywhere without potentially causing someone else grief. Is marginal land worth clearing? Some sandy, rocky, topographicly challenged stuff around too. Provincial and Federal community pastures were developed for a reason unless improved farming practices can make some marginal ground productive. Our farm is kinda maxed out...maybe a bit of drainage if the C&D gets some work done....but apparently it's not like pulling the drain on the bathtub and away she goes...."supposedly" have to be able to hold it back if down stream can't handle it.....I.can't wait to see how this is going to be "managed/enforced"! (If I live long enough to see any developments at all!) A subject no one wants to talk about.....

Comment

Farmaholic we live in the hills of poplar trees. I consider them weeds as they keep creeping in the fields and then they fall on the fences.

Back in my grandpa's time he had a sawmill with his brother and my grandma split them up so our side stayed farming and they sawed logs. Still get along good with them and they got 200 employees up north and seem to be doing good. Too bad they didn't stay together but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

One fellow I know moved here from Lethbridge since as a kid he watered trees every summer. Now nothing delights him more that tromping trees with his cat.

You're not that far away from here but it's a different world for sure.

Here's dad knocking down some rotten poplars in my yard this summer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.