• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TEDx Talks: Pushing Boundaries in Agriculture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TEDx Talks: Pushing Boundaries in Agriculture

Wouldn't it be great if there was actually more demand then supply for a change? Farmers are stupid beyond words. Let's let the people who matter when it comes to farm profitability get a little hungry for once.

Comment

Thanks for posting. This needs to be force fed to a much broader audience. Please share.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
        Wouldn't it be great if there was actually more demand then supply for a change? Farmers are stupid beyond words. Let's let the people who matter when it comes to farm profitability get a little hungry for once.
        .....and while we're at, let those supplying the over-priced goods and services and the plain parasites of little value feeding off our bottom line get financially hungry as well!

Unless that's what you meant.

Or is it also the people who can actually afford to pay but are only spending a small portion of their disposable income on food.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 26, 2017, 07:34.

Comment

We can already easily feed 9 billion people. Production has never or will ever be the problem.

Is farming a business or not? If we have social responsibility to feed the world, turn it into a social program.

Fine, ban GMO, herbicides, tractors, i really don't care. Let me grow 10% of what i'm growing for 100 times the price then. The ONLY people affected are the crop protection companies. And this tag line of how can we feed 9 billion is just a smoke screen to keep those companies thriving.

Agriculture produces 2700 calories per person on the entire planet. Plenty of food easily for everyone.

Comment

Problem here is we have no general plan.
            We have no leaders with a long term vision.
            We have to decide do we keep funding for example pulse groups to develop higher yielding varieties when we haven't secured trade deals guaranteeing a level
            Price for our product? Seems almost nutty that we had people encouraging all these acres of pulses and put in government money for plants to be built ( government is actually our money) and we have no trade deal with a country that has nearly 1.5 billion people.
            All I've heard from these groups is how well the rails have improved??? Really that's not what I see happening. Why do I get told no delivery for sometimes months at a time because no cars? Is that just bullshit or is it true?

Comment

What,..... you don't like Agri"Spend"?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                What,..... you don't like Agri"Spend"?
                That! IS! Awesome!

Like x 1,000,000

Comment

Come on fellas we all
                  Like to be just like our governments heros spending other people's money to look good but reality really stupid. Hahahaha

Debt debt debt and more debt to give a lower price of peas to the Indian people. Hahahaha outstanding!!!

Comment

very interesting , here's another angle . the earth probably can't support 10 billion people . maybe we are all missing the point ? maybe all this bullshit they are spewing is really about starving and killing half the worlds population ? control tge food supply , control the world

Comment

What I can't figure out is why the Canadian government can subsidize plane sales but not ag product sales ??????

Comment

Because the guys with the planes don't have people in the middle representing them to government to design policy.

Comment

Say what you want about agrispend and I'd probably agree with most. But I've listened to Saik before and I wonder whats in it for him somedays.
                          Here is why I say that.
                          I read the drivel on here. I listen to the myopic shit at Commission meetings.
                          AND THEN I recall every fantasy filled like, post, share, reshare and forward from anybody you please from sources that arent even qualified to roll a doobie. And I wonder "where is our industry?".
                          Last week I sat at a table of 75-80 yr old well-retired farmers and I had no scientific comeback when they all agreed we should not be dessicating crops. I could tell them about the latest trade mission or disease research. But only that.
                          How many of you find Saik-like info shared on Facebook? Do our commissions have staff milking the social media for the dissemination of agricultures position? Jeez, Trump got elected working the system. Our industry is being selectively pigeonholed and castrated by that same system. And all I hear is CRICKETS?
                          We are being governed by an electorate who read a headline only and share it!! Some of the shit my facebook friends like and share is un***believable!!
                          So, regardless of how he parts his hair or how much money he made legitametly in a given system. Any body who can give informed, intelligent responses to any question regarding the future of food production should be hired rfn!
                          Not sticking up for Saik the man, just asking why is he the only discernable voice?
                          I'm actually rather disappointed in our industry right now in this regard. Here in Canada we have decades of catchup because of the old system. But I guess I'm suggesting our commissions and our producers and our industry as a whole wake the fk up!
                          Lets use some of these stupid budgets to have a strong, effective social media presence! Take a page from Trumps book. Branding Branding Branding. Sell, Sell, Sell! Or at least, positive, informed information. And push it hard!
                          I would love to send this rant as a letter to every damn commission we have.

Comment

Its important to understand that the only people who listen to saik, are the ones who understand what's going on already. If you look at his list of followers on twitter for example, pretty much all of them are in agriculture. So its preaching to the choir. And since its preaching facts, its the double whammy of not listening. Without invoking an emotion, there is no point even starting. and agriculture has no clue how to even begin doing that.

social media is targeted media, people choose who to follow, and that limits the exposure to any new ideas.

The antivax movement is a perfect example - not a single true fact - but it doesn't matter. People follow only what they believe is to be true when an emotional connection is made, they don't even see the other side.

Its a perfect system of control for a generation that stares at their phone 23 hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              Say what you want about agrispend and I'd probably agree with most. But I've listened to Saik before and I wonder whats in it for him somedays.
                              Here is why I say that.
                              I read the drivel on here. I listen to the myopic shit at Commission meetings.
                              AND THEN I recall every fantasy filled like, post, share, reshare and forward from anybody you please from sources that arent even qualified to roll a doobie. And I wonder "where is our industry?".
                              Last week I sat at a table of 75-80 yr old well-retired farmers and I had no scientific comeback when they all agreed we should not be dessicating crops. I could tell them about the latest trade mission or disease research. But only that.
                              How many of you find Saik-like info shared on Facebook? Do our commissions have staff milking the social media for the dissemination of agricultures position? Jeez, Trump got elected working the system. Our industry is being selectively pigeonholed and castrated by that same system. And all I hear is CRICKETS?
                              We are being governed by an electorate who read a headline only and share it!! Some of the shit my facebook friends like and share is un***believable!!
                              So, regardless of how he parts his hair or how much money he made legitametly in a given system. Any body who can give informed, intelligent responses to any question regarding the future of food production should be hired rfn!
                              Not sticking up for Saik the man, just asking why is he the only discernable voice?
                              I'm actually rather disappointed in our industry right now in this regard. Here in Canada we have decades of catchup because of the old system. But I guess I'm suggesting our commissions and our producers and our industry as a whole wake the fk up!
                              Lets use some of these stupid budgets to have a strong, effective social media presence! Take a page from Trumps book. Branding Branding Branding. Sell, Sell, Sell! Or at least, positive, informed information. And push it hard!
                              I would love to send this rant as a letter to every damn commission we have.
                              Agree with everything you said. We need to get the message out, because as it is, for most people, if they read it on the internet, it must be true. That said, before we can go out and defend ourselves, we better make certain that we are all squeaky clean. No off label pesticides(including dessicating a green crop), never caused herbicide drift, never abused any livestock, never had soil wash away or blow away, drained water into the neighbours etc. Otherwise when they ask about such practices we may be just opening up another can of worms, and our customers may not have even been aware of such practices as dessication before we "educated" them about how harmless it may or may not be.

Who here would volunteer to go visit schools, or Universities, or yuppie yoga classes to tell them what really happens on the farm, and answer the hard questions with a clear conscience?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.