• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Handling Fees"....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Why do special crops handlers and processors still insist on taking a handling fee off the contract price?

When shrink was no longer allowed, they simply renamed the "tookage". You would think the industry would have moved past this by now. Bid "net the tookage", it wouldn't be so blatantly obvious then!!!!
    Who do you think should pay for the difference (losses) in the cleaning process? There are losses, believe me. For one, in the time it takes for the product to recah the buyer, there are losses - dust, dirt, moisture. You think the cleaning plant should absorb that? You should try running a cleaning plant, then tell me what you learned Farma. I know from the outside, it looks that way but there are losses.

Comment

Farma, you should just be happy there are hundreds of cleaning plants trying everything in their power to make farming work. If they weren't there, would you be getting hosed by the big boys!

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        Who do you think should pay for the difference (losses) in the cleaning process? There are losses, believe me. For one, in the time it takes for the product to recah the buyer, there are losses - dust, dirt, moisture. You think the cleaning plant should absorb that? You should try running a cleaning plant, then tell me what you learned Farma. I know from the outside, it looks that way but there are losses.
        Re-read my posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

**** me.....here's some more food for thought. Are you paying me on gross bushels or net clean bushels? That should just about end the debate in my opinion!

Then "handling fees" on top?

I wish I could have all the grain back that gets accidently spilled or have my harvest losses back as well....but that is supposedly only my problem! Funny how that works!

Comment

If anyone should understand I would think both westernvicki and sumdumguy would. Escpecially people who have their hands in both pies.

Maybe primary producers can pay for losses at destination too? Oh wait...in some cases of refused shipments I bet that affects our farmgate prices going forward if the "shipper" incurred losses.

Easier to take from below than to get from above....

Comment

Farma, you should just be happy there are hundreds of cleaning plants trying everything in their power to make farming work. If they weren't there, would you be getting hosed by the big boys!
              I am going to check and see if any of the cleaning plants are Registered Charities.

Comment

Cleaning plants are a license to print money....

Take an extra half percent out cleaning for their shrinkage. ..who would notice and then reclean in off season for a few extra bushels....there is the definition of shrink....

Comment

Farmaholic, take a deep breath. We cleaned grain for many years and I can tell you, our experience was sometimes positive because we had customers who appreciated us being there. But in our experience, seed plants are not licences to print money nor is there money to cover losses. They are in the middle. The buyer pays on net pounds, the producer wants to be paid on gross pounds, but who makes up the difference because despite what you think, there are losses. There is no way grain can pass through augers, conveyors, aspirators, bins, bags for many weeks and not lose weight - you try it. I am just saying that seed plants can not afford to cover it. When you take your car or machinery to the repair shop, do you pay for rags and incidental supplies? Do you get rebated for the parts they off your vehicle?

Comment

Then bucket I suggest you buy one.

Comment

At nearly 2 bucks a bushel to clean flax ....65 cents for lentils ....no money.....

Yeah it's getting deep here....

Grain cos make 2 cents a pound to clean ....

Comment

BTW I don't begrudge any guy cleaning .....it's a boring job that only goes wrong when you look away....

There are some innovative farmers on this site that clean grain and work very hard....

And I wasn't meaning to offend anyone ....sorry to get off track....

Comment

What would be a fair charge for cleaning various grains by the hour?

Take into account the capacity of the plant based on the degree of difficulty making a separation and the quality of finished product desired, electricity costs, maintenance, capital costs(anyone know what new cleaning machinery costs?) and wages.

Comment

From the numbers I have seen for equipment....alot more than I am willing to risk.....

Hence the last comment about not wanting to offend hard working and capital invested farmers on their plants. ....

Comment

..... The buyer pays on net pounds, the producer wants to be paid on gross pounds, but who makes up the difference.....

We're paid net cleaning. I know no one who wants to be paid gross delivered undressed. Ultimately the "shrink" shouldn't be my issue....no one pays for mine.

I made my points.

We don't have to agree...

Comment

Hey, no offense taken I just know what these processors go through and I know where our losses were. Seed plant expenses have increased exponentially since we got out and I can't figure out how they make money. Farmers can complain and have a lot to complain about for instance fuel surcharges on semis that don't come off when fuel gets cheap and now rail lines charging carbon tax on every shipment, but local seed plants, sorry no buying. ✌️

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.