• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Definition of stupidity.......not politics

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definition of stupidity.......not politics

Getting quoted up on new sp sprayers

Faaaaaarrrrrrkkkkkkk 500k to 560k

Miller and Rogator thus far

Malleefarmer out

Down and out

MALLEE...

Anything new sitting at dealers approaching a one or two year birthday.....that they are motivated to sell.

OR buy a late model used with little hours....make sure all the updates are done and let the first buyer swallow the first big chunk of depreciation.

Comment

same here , it's gross ,new combine gets leased out at a value of $750 k, sells at Ritchie bros next year with 300 hrs on it for $330k all the time .

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
        Getting quoted up on new sp sprayers

Faaaaaarrrrrrkkkkkkk 500k to 560k

Miller and Rogator thus far

Malleefarmer out

Down and out
        Stick to the sheep! Lol in Australia, what do you even need equipment for sheep for! 😂 not like you have to feed them off pasture for 200 days a year...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
          Stick to the sheep! Lol in Australia, what do you even need equipment for sheep for! 😂 not like you have to feed them off pasture for 200 days a year...
          I would second that. $500k would buy a bunch of fencing and more ewes and away you go. Wouldn’t need the big 4wd tractor either. Not feeding critters all winter would be nice too....... -30 this morning the hydraulic hoses are like 2x4’s on the mix wagon hooking them up.

Comment

I think the definition of stupidity is that someone is willing to buy the new machine and take the big financial hit in the first few years when there is so much cheap used around. Of course, the operations who can afford to do that must look at me and think what I do, and the scale I do it on is the definition of stupidity. I'm glad they are willing to do it.

Thinking about your much lower land costs and input costs, where you have a big advantage over us in cost per acre(hectare). But on equipment, that machine will cost you as much per acre to own and operate as someone growing twice or more the yield per acre(hectare), making your fixed cost per tonne much higher. Advantages and disadvantages to everything.

Comment

Everyone enters the machinery game at a different point. We need everyone to make it work. I may be able to afford to buy some stuff new but with every intention on keeping it long enough where early real depreciation won't hurt me. In saying that I better make the right choice the first time because I can't afford to change my mind.

You should have seen the equipment we used when we were expanding our farm in the early years. Not a real boost to the ego but it got the job done. Learned to fix stuff too.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/Iseekplantcomau/videos/1493797394052681/

Guess it will come to this hope link works its a goody

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  There is some sense in Sheepwheats response.

It is best to buy 2 new sprayers. Efficient. Apply the chemical products at the exact time window. You dont want to miss the time window because there will be yeild losses plus extra weeds that were missed which will multiply on your land for generations to come. Everybody has seen where they missed with the sprayer, there is nothing there but spindly crop and weeds. You can spray 2 different crops at the right time. If you miss the right time window there will be yeild and quality losses. If one sprayer breaks down you have the second one to continue. You can spray herbicide and fungicide on two separate fields. Fungicide has a narrow time window or you will have yeild and quality losses. You need a sprayer. A Sprayer is the most important piece of equipment on the farm. You get what you pay for.

Or else graze more sheep on existing land base for profit, perrenial N fixing cover crops on your land, soil building. Etc. But thats crazy talk.
                  You have an excellent opportunity to rethink your farm. Very few people can step off the merry go round and truly farm they way they really want. Right or wrong.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.