• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FCC changing their tune.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiseguy
    Bucket ! You would like South Australia !

They haul grain off the combine direct to port then sell to grain buyers thru out the year when the price is right !

No need for on farm storage bins just a few chaser bins to keep the combines and trucks rollin !
    Same way it works in South America... Europe... Russia... The US...

Comment

Off the combine is worst basis of the year always. bins pay within 5 years easily. Easy to make 20-30 bucks a tonne on canola just in basis from off combine to winter
      Last edited by bgmb; Mar 6, 2018, 20:08.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
        Off the combine is worst basis of the yeal always bins pay within 5 years easily
        Not in sask...

Peas off combine $8.50 now $6.60

Hrs off combine $7.75 now $6.67

Comment

A cargill dork told me you farmers have to forget about selling your crop in a crop year, havent talked to him since.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
            Not in sask...

Peas off combine $8.50 now $6.60

Hrs off combine $7.75 now $6.67
            Apples to apples, in the summer when wheat was high you could have locked say 8 sept 820 dec and 835 march hrs wheat. Basis gets better as your u go out. With canola you are virtually guarinteed ro pick up 50 cents a bu in basis storing from sept to march just in basis. Never mind seasonal canola chart is highest in the spring.

Comment

Apples to apples, in the summer when wheat was high you could have locked say 8 sept 820 dec and 835 march hrs wheat. Basis gets better as your u go out. With canola you are virtually guarinteed ro pick up 50 cents a bu in basis storing from sept to march just in basis. Never mind seasonal canola chart is highest in the spring.
              $0.15 a bushel to haul in the middle of winter, pay interest on that money for three months (opportunity cost), pay for bins, and pay two x elevation costs with... Yeah ok... That doesn't make you any more money.

Plus you're then fighting winter movement which is terrible in Canada and in the case of canola dealing with a highly volatile easily spoiled product.

Don't get me wrong some storage is a good thing but why you think farmers storing a crop for half or a full year, incurring pricing risk, spoilage risk, and act of God (fire flood wind) risk on that commodity in order for the elevator and rail system to not have to become more efficient is a great idea is beyond me.

Comment

Not everybody has the ability to hold their grain until spring or is willing to take the risk of pricing all of their production at a high price when it hasn't even flowered yet. so that is not a fair argument. Now back to the original topic. You have to remember that as a government entity that FCC's mandate is to be wishy washy and to change their tune to fit whatever they seem to believe at that moment, just like a politician.

Comment

What I don’t understand is if it’s so great everywhere except Canada is why klause is still in Canada?
                  Don’t get me wrong I agree with lots of what you say but you’re fairly young and sound like you’re quite knowledgeable on other countries and how great they are to farm in and how terrible Canada is.... what am I missing?
                  If I was you I’d have packed up long ago and headed for greener pastures.

Comment

It's always laughable when people talk about making it up on volume.....

Reminds me of an SNL"the change bank" skit and the key phrase was... "we lose money on every transaction but we are making it up on volume...."

About the same logic here....making an extra 50 cents from harvest til spring doesn't make a ROI on bins augers snowblowers etc. ....but you can make it up on the volume of equipment and grain you have ....I guess.

And people say I don't know the cost of farming....

BTW I ****ing hate snow ...adds cost to just leaving the house.lol.

Comment

The grass may appear greener on the other side of the fence but it is usually harder to mow!

My forefathers left places like Klause describes for the safety and opportunity of where I farm today.

Canada may not be perfect but it's alot ****ing better than some other places, thank you.

Seems only comparisons have been made in farming, how about social programs, quality of life, life expectancy, etc.

People leave their homes fleeing shit to be here, how bad can Canada be?

https://<iframe width="640" height="...reen></iframe>

Comment

The problem is we justify what's going on in Canada by looking at other countries like mentioned above....that's where we are heading....a race the bottom....

That's different thinking and explains why we have the problems we have.....because it could be worse.....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          The problem is we justify what's going on in Canada by looking at other countries like mentioned above....that's where we are heading....a race the bottom....

That's different thinking and explains why we have the problems we have.....because it could be worse.....
                          Ya.........and my old man tells me when I complain too much...."It's never so bad that it couldn't be worse"!

Even at the "other" places.

Comment

Argentina has free university for citizens. Public healthcare like here, plus a private user pay system if you'd rather go to an ethnic hospital (English, German).

Cost of living is a quarter of here.

We left for fear of safety because of over reaching government and terrorism... Wait a minute...

My uncle stayed behind... The wealth he has built in the last 20 years is amazing. Nobody could have predicted the power of the soybean. When I was 5 land in Argentina was $100/ha.

That same land today is $6,000-9000 a ha.

They used to have two ports to export grain and barely produced more than they consumed. Today the country feeds half a billion people exports from 26 ports. Dredged 300km of river.

Canada was a great country... Still is... But it's in steady decline. The lack of statesmen with a vision, the need for frills" and poor planning. The lack of industrial development.

In the 1940s Argentina was an oil exporter. Successive governments said it was unnecessary. The industry crumbled to where they were a net energy importer.

Only today are they realizing the potential of their energy resources.

Again... Canada is a great country... But unless we start doing something to sloe the decline it won't be for our kids and grandkids.

Comment

Must be money in farming, neighbour pointed out last night block of land 15 miles south of me, 18 quarters of land for $16 million. To me this price is ludicrous must be targeting Hutterites!

Comment

Lol what kind of utopia do you guys think farming should be? Grain companies are supposed to build concrete and port storage to store and export the entire canadian crop in 2 months? Totally unrealistic to me but hey its a free country

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...