• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Insurance??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Insurance??

Currently we are running with the “Don’t get sick” plan and not sure if we should look at something different. There’s my wife and I with our 4 and 5 year old kids with no major pre existing conditions currently. Dental is becoming more of an issue with the kids looking like one may need braces. Just took them for a simple cleaning and it was $480 for the two of them and they strongly suggest coming back in 6 months.

Just curious what others are doing and how satisfied you are with it. Been doing some reading on “cost plus” plans where it becomes a business expense but would like to know someone who’s gone that route or the traditional (blue cross, sunlife, etc...).

Thanks in advance.

We have a plan with chambers group for wife and I and 3 kids
    They cover dental, optometrist, prescriptions , life and disability insurance included.
    It’s around $270 month for all of us but a couple trips to the Dentist and optometrist you get your money back and then some.

We looked around when we signed up with them and they had the most to offer for the price at that time.

Comment

When I was in Phoenix, I was told tooth cleaning is $25. We have 2 dental plans and we still pay a bit out of our pockets. This is ridiculous. My brother goes to Mexico border town from Texas to get dental done for a fraction of the price, a couple hundred dollars for a gold crown. He's had lots of work done there and its been at least five years with no problems. These health plans are very expensive and then they jack you around.

Comment

Chamber of commerce plan here to.
        Run it through the corp and its tax deductible, need 3 employees to start and then after a period can cut back employees, or add more. easy and never had an office not be able to use it. Also good for travel insurance. covers ambulance, massages, chiro. mental health. probably missing some features.

Comment

Originally posted by tmyrfield View Post
          Chamber of commerce plan here to.
          Run it through the corp and its tax deductible, need 3 employees to start and then after a period can cut back employees, or add more. easy and never had an office not be able to use it. Also good for travel insurance. covers ambulance, massages, chiro. mental health. probably missing some features.
          I forgot about the travel insurance

Comment

Pick your crooks Woodland - either the overpriced dentists or the insurance racket to pay for them. Dental costs are ridiculous in this country in my opinion. We were in a couple of different health plans and dumped both over the dental component. They are happy enough to take your money but watch the coverage offered. Many of them are capped at $1500 or less per participant/ per year, sometimes it's year 3 before your coverage gets that high. Basically it looks all fine and dandy until you have actual dental problems to deal with. A root canal followed by a crown can run about $3000/tooth, braces for kids easily $7000. We quit paying 2 lots of crooks and now just pay the dentist when need be. Dentistry would be a great career choice for your kids though 4 or 5 short days a week and retire rich by age 40!

Comment

Woodland;

Our family has coverage through my wife’s employment but we also carry Blue Cross for a few reasons;

BlueCross
              Core Health Plan
              VIP Travel
              Prescription Drugs

$705.60 annually - family of 4 plus PST now...

Once you are an active policy holder; future wife/husband and children can be added without any concern for health problems; this maybe a benefit for your kids.

VIP travel - I like this so you are covered if you cross the border for a day trip (parts run) or travel for a short trip.

Ambulance rides are covered - say kid is out of town playing a sport and you are not there and the coach decides out of an abundance of caution to call and ambulance- your bill is covered.

Dental - covered through wife’s plan but I doubt I would pay for dental plan as I figure there are usually affordable solutions; pull the tooth; head south for dental work; braces can be saved for and there is a know cost to dental work.

I would have a look at a basic health plan as I think it is peace of mind.

Comment

I'm so ****en healthy they took my health card away....

I actually have an appointment at the "money printing press"(dentist) tomorrow, just the annual check-up that hurts my wallet more than my mouth.

Woodland, keep on top of those kids' brushing and flossing and a yearly visit will probably be enough, unless there's some other issue they want you guys back twice a year for.

Get your kids and yourselves some of these, got to get creative when winding the floss on so it stays on but you'll never want to use your fingers to floss again

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	766270

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  .... unless there's some other issue they want you guys back twice a year for.
                  Yeah, the aforementioned "money printing press" reason LOL

Comment

Insurance companies aren't non profit enterprises. It will cost more in the long run to buy insurance, than to simply pay the costs. Never hurts to inform your dentist etc, ahead of time that you don't have insurance, and would appreciate that the bill be adjusted to reflect that. It costs them to bill the insurance companies too.

I get my dental work done in Russia whenever we visit. Great first world technology and service, at a fraction of the price. And they will do it all in one visit, not make you come back multiple times. Could easily pay for the trip in savings.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                      Currently we are running with the “Don’t get sick” plan and not sure if we should look at something different. There’s my wife and I with our 4 and 5 year old kids with no major pre existing conditions currently. Dental is becoming more of an issue with the kids looking like one may need braces. Just took them for a simple cleaning and it was $480 for the two of them and they strongly suggest coming back in 6 months.

Just curious what others are doing and how satisfied you are with it. Been doing some reading on “cost plus” plans where it becomes a business expense but would like to know someone who’s gone that route or the traditional (blue cross, sunlife, etc...).

Thanks in advance.
                      Same situation as you right now with nothing. Check with UFA, they had a group plan for farmers a few years back, we looked at it and decided not to at the time but it's an option.

Comment

We had a plan through my wife’s work then when she retired the same company plan offered a program similar only thing we lose the eye glasses part. That’s easy with Zeni now.

The Dentist thing is a joke in Canada. You pay and pay and pay. It’s a game

But coverage is 100% on cleaning and big kicker is crown and root canal you pay half. It costs her about 270 now that’s four 4 of us and boys are coverd till 26 if living at home or attending school.

But they will have their own and be gone before then her cost drops to 218.

That’s 4 weeks in USA strait extra days 6 bucks a day.

You pay one or other. Just a note all family and a friend who had ever had dental in Mexico are gone. Just saying. Other places are better.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          Insurance companies aren't non profit enterprises. It will cost more in the long run to buy insurance, than to simply pay the costs.
                          I would think this pretty much nails it. Someone is paying. Not quite this bad, but I was going to compare it to a ponzi scheme. Do these plans invest your premiums to pay for your long term benefits or is it like some large under funded pension plan and they're always borrowing from the future.

Are new participants of a mandatory or voluntary plan allowed to use it after one premium instalment or do they have to contribute for a period of time before they're allowed to use it? What would stop someone from abusing it.

They must also be relying on some people in the plan not using the value of their contributions......would anyone not use their plan benefits in this day and age?
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 6, 2018, 06:40.

Comment

These plans probably keep the actuarials busy..... costs, age demographics, participation levels.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              I would think this pretty much nails it. Someone is paying. Not quite this bad, but I was going to compare it to a ponzi scheme. Do these plans invest your premiums to pay for your long term benefits or is it like some large under funded pension plan and they're always borrowing from the future.

Are new participants of a mandatory or voluntary plan allowed to use it after one premium instalment or do they have to contribute for a period of time before they're allowed to use it? What would stop someone from abusing it.

They must also be relying on some people in the plan not using the value of their contributions......would anyone not use their plan benefits in this day and age?
                              They do invest your money, and at one time I did hear that they actually pay out more than they collect in premiums due to their investment income. However low risk investments lately are paying virtually zero, so not sure how that is turning out. Of course, we would expect the same if we put money away for a rainy day( instead of insurance), if that rainy day doesn't happen for decades, it should have grown, even just in an interest bearing account. Health insurance doesn't have such long time frames between claims, so likely there is no time for investment growth.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.