• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clubroot and RM’s / counties ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
    Just buy clubroot resistant seed from retailer.
    I have a neighbor, with 200 cultvated acres. They both work jobs in town. The wife works at the local ag retailer and utilizes the best products available. They are on their 9th consecutive crop of canola. Its working.
    haha. working alright … like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. guys that know the disease say over dependence on so-called "resistant" varieties combined with canola-snow-canola rotations is a high-risk approach. But hey, it's their land, not mine. best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by HITTGrapevine View Post
      haha. working alright … like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. guys that know the disease say over dependence on so-called "resistant" varieties combined with canola-snow-canola rotations is a high-risk approach. But hey, it's their land, not mine. best of luck
      Ah...no, it's a practice whose affects will reach past the abused fields boundaries. It is your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Another can of worms.....what about agronomic practices on leased/rented land. Are landlords writing canola rotation restrictions into their agreements? Does it matter when it can be tracked into the fields on a tenants machinery from someone else's abused farming practices.
        Landlord are writing high rental rates on their lease agreements. Around here it has been canola/wheat for the last 20 years. What else are you going to do? A canola/wheat rotation is about the same as continuous canola. The odd field gets peas or an oats/wheat/canola rotation. County will be 70% canola in 2018 unless the spring is so wet that last year fallow gets fallowed again. Never say never.

Comment

Originally posted by HITTGrapevine View Post
          They must know what they are doing and buy the best products. She works for the ag retailer. I just realized that there would be all kinds of talk talk about rotations and sound agronomy.......then plant canola again.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
            They must know what they are doing and buy the best products. She works for the ag retailer. I just realized that there would be all kinds of talk talk about rotations and sound agronomy.......then plant canola again.
            $140 / ac rent in that area ....... landlords just as guilty, everyone wants more and more. Peas with root rot and cereals with fusarium don’t pay those bills . Greed goes both ways .

Anyway , thread is about regulations coming our way and what to expect .
            Thread not intended to finger point rotations, which is not the cause but an enabler to enhance the issue when it arrives . It came from the horticultural industry via green houses by the way.
            It showed up in this area on one farm with a longer 4-5 year rotation, smaller farmer that farms in a small area . So it can happen anywhere despite super duper farming practices.
            Just trying to be proactive and have an RM with sound bylaws in place when it may become an issue. Don’t want to be in an RM that ill prepared is all . Knee jerk reactions after the fact are never good .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.