• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clubroot and RM’s / counties ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clubroot and RM’s / counties ??

With clubroot now an issue in this area , what are things to be aware of from policies and restrictions from RM’s here in Sask ?
    For you guys in the clubroot areas in Alberta what regulations are there from counties ? How is that being regulated ?
    RM’s in Sask are to set their own rules and by laws going foreword . Just looking for any advice , experience or regulations good or bad that have been put forward

Anyone want to hire someone to do custom work or rent equipment from an infected zone?

It's just a matter of time before clubroot is all over. I don't think vigilance will contain it's spread, it may slow it down but.... but its just a matter of time. Remember fusarium, but I think clubroot will spread slower.

Does it even affect weeds in the crucifer family?

Comment

There is canola police around here known as the Agricultural Service Board at the county level. They sample your field at random unannounced as then a clubroot map appears in the local paper. Don't know what % of canola fields they get to every year. If it is discovered then, you can't seed canola for the next 3 years. Was a case in an adjoining county where that was not adhered to and the county hired a sprayer from far away and at high cost to spray the crop down. Nobody local would touch that for obvious reasons. Has not happened in this county yet. There is a quarter with club root on it that has been for sale for over a year in this area. This quarter produced canola in 2016 and was spring combined in 2017 and then a volunteer crop of canola produced in 2017 and they found club root in it last summer.

Comment

Clubroot, pea weevil, root rot, fusarium, and throw a few tariffs in there, things look positive going forward. Now with this snow, I’m sure canola seed will be flying off the shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
          Clubroot, pea weevil, root rot, fusarium, and throw a few tariffs in there, things look positive going forward. Now with this snow, I’m sure canola seed will be flying off the shelves.
          ..........and commodity prices falling! Bumper crop coming this year!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            ..........and commodity prices falling! Bumper crop coming this year!
            Even for those farming in the Ghetto!! 😁

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
              Even for those farming in the Ghetto!! 😁
              I'll settle for a good average.

Comment

Just buy clubroot resistant seed from retailer.
                I have a neighbor, with 200 cultvated acres. They both work jobs in town. The wife works at the local ag retailer and utilizes the best products available. They are on their 9th consecutive crop of canola. Its working.

Comment

As part of the provincial clubroot management plan, the Saskatchewan Clubroot Initiative was established to promote awareness and identify priorities for clubroot prevention and management. In June 2009, the Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture declared clubroot a pest, giving municipalities powers to control clubroot under The Pest Control Act. These powers include:

The appointment of Pest Control Officers to enforce, enter land, perform inspections, collect specimens or issue orders to any person;
                  The authority to pass bylaws to prevent, control or destroy clubroot; and
                  The ability to require individuals to take actions to control or destroy clubroot on the land they own, occupy or control.

Education and awareness continue to be a priority to help producers and industry members prevent the spread of clubroot into and within Saskatchewan. The Clubroot Management Objective aims to promote awareness and minimize the risk of clubroot in Saskatchewan.

Comment

[QUOTE=farmaholic;372582]I'll settle for a good average.[/QUOTE

I just want good germination.

Comment

[QUOTE=bigzee;372593]
                      Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      I'll settle for a good average.[/QUOTE

I just want good germination.
                      Ya.....I may be taking too much for granted and getting a bit ahead of myself.

Thanks for snapping me back into reality....lol

Comment

Originally posted by HITTGrapevine View Post
                        As part of the provincial clubroot management plan, the Saskatchewan Clubroot Initiative was established to promote awareness and identify priorities for clubroot prevention and management. In June 2009, the Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture declared clubroot a pest, giving municipalities powers to control clubroot under The Pest Control Act. These powers include:

The appointment of Pest Control Officers to enforce, enter land, perform inspections, collect specimens or issue orders to any person;
                        The authority to pass bylaws to prevent, control or destroy clubroot; and
                        The ability to require individuals to take actions to control or destroy clubroot on the land they own, occupy or control.

Education and awareness continue to be a priority to help producers and industry members prevent the spread of clubroot into and within Saskatchewan. The Clubroot Management Objective aims to promote awareness and minimize the risk of clubroot in Saskatchewan.
                        What’s the process for the RM’s to make the bylaws? Up to each RM to make there own bylaws for the PCO’s to enforce ?
                        No doubt prevention is key but just looking into the process and authority on who makes the by laws and what they may be. There is good info on the Canola council of Canada website but the bylaws seem to be different and unique in each RM / County ?
                        I know the PCO’s in Sask are getting educated on the issue but most to be honest have zero agronomic backgrounds. That may not be an issue but it is concerning .
                        How much has the clubroot issue affected custom spraying / seeding / spreading / harvesting in clubroot areas of Alberta ?
                        Also what about property rights as to who or what can enter any of ones property?
                        Even ATV’s / recreational guys that rip up fields in muddy conditions? Does one have more rights for legal action through the PCO’s clubroot bylaws ? Or should that be addressed through the RM’s making the bylaws?

Comment

The County I'm in checks every field on every quarter every year. If they see any symptoms they send samples away.

Comment

Another can of worms.....what about agronomic practices on leased/rented land. Are landlords writing canola rotation restrictions into their agreements? Does it matter when it can be tracked into the fields on a tenants machinery from someone else's abused farming practices.

Comment

What about all the oil field traffic. Operators drive from field to field all day. Same as weed sprayers? Other trucks travel to and from infected areas all the time. Surely a big reason for club root spread.

What about commercial truckers? Fertilizer gets hauled in from far distances and often into and out of muddy yards.
                              Last edited by poorboy; Mar 5, 2018, 14:38.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.