• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old crop Canary seed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old crop Canary seed

anyone seeing any chance of price improvement ? apparently we missed the selling call .

Dave4111...you by/buy/bye?

Comment

Canary seed crops are not looking good but that probably won't matter for the price.

Iceman

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
        Canary seed crops are not looking good but that probably won't matter for the price.

Iceman
        The budgies go into the pot of soup when food prices soar.

Comment

caseih....maybe they want to know how old?
          How many candles does it have on its birthday cake this fall?
          Is it rancid? Or "smell" old?
          Are any Canaries still alive that were hatched the same year it was grown?

All important price discovery information!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            caseih....maybe they want to know how old?
            How many candles does it have on its birthday cake this fall?
            Is it rancid? Or "smell" old?
            Are any Canaries still alive that were hatched the same year it was grown?

All important price discovery information!
            no, just Last years

Comment

Here the canary crops are dismal. I've never seen a poorer stand in my life with this incessant drought. Despite that, I think canaryseed represented a good 40% of the special crops export business in our area during the 1980's and nineties. Now its importance is about 5%.

Comment

I think there is a steady supply of canaryseed available compared to thirty years ago.....stored old crop(s) and the fact its more widely grown has provided the market with ample supplies. So the big price spikes of the past don't seem to happen. I also think canary seed prices have risen at least enough to keep people growing it. I thought 30 cents/lb used to be a hot price....so the mid to high twenties may be as good as it ever gets under the current S/U ratio. I think I remember canaryseed as low as nine cents...

Sumdumguy...any comments?

Comment

Is there anywhere that posts the price the Mexicans actually pay?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                    Is there anywhere that posts the price the Mexicans actually pay?
                    There's alot of extra expenses and margins incurred before it makes it to the bird's beak!

Comment

Input cap type margins? Iceman you streaming canary now? Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        I think there is a steady supply of canaryseed available compared to thirty years ago.....stored old crop(s) and the fact its more widely grown has provided the market with ample supplies. So the big price spikes of the past don't seem to happen. I also think canary seed prices have risen at least enough to keep people growing it. I thought 30 cents/lb used to be a hot price....so the mid to high twenties may be as good as it ever gets under the current S/U ratio. I think I remember canaryseed as low as nine cents...

Sumdumguy...any comments?
                        Will never forget 1994 - May 5 ish - 54.5 cents a pound. And bins full to the rafters. That price spike was due to presales that were short-short-short. I too saw lots of nine cents and twenty. Maybe this year we'll see 30 plus. It'll depend on the pressure to fill contracts. Like I said earlier, canary doesn't seem to have the prominence it once did for us. But this year the water will be tested!

Comment

Like many things there is no one marketing for us.
                          There are those that make their hidden deals with the buyers that we never know about.
                          The Mexicans told the president of the USA to fk off these people in their gov also own and control canary market etc
                          You think we are saying anything to
                          Them?

Comment

Last trade i heard of into Mexico was 22.35 cents to grower delivered plant basis plus 2 cents for cleaning plus rail freight of about 8.5 cents. All prices Canadian. Last trade to Europe was likely lower, closer to 21. Trade is speculating that high wheat price will carry price up. Right now about $100 disconnect from market at destination to canadian grower price.

Price will be fully dependent on yield. We have fairly large carryover, same as last few years of about 75000 MT. That's for a market that ships 150,000 MT per year. We expect production to be about 125000. So lots of supply so doubt we see 30 cents per lb. Canadian dollar also stronger over last month which is not helping.

In 2015 market rallied to 30 cents thru to end of harvest and went down every day from then until summer 2016. I expect similar things from this market. Unless wheat moves higher or harvest

Comment

Dave, you sound like a wheat trader 8 weeks ago. Ha

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.