• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windpower Alberta

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's Ralph, where he should be ,his deregulation of the industry cost 12/15 billion and is still costing.

Comment

The Tyee article is from 2011.

The graph I linked to is from 2016.

It shows $0 ($ zero) utility debt for Ab.

Looks to me that everything worked out well thanks to hard work of Mr Anglin.

But the BS about the cheap cost of this new wind power needs to have $1.4bil cost of prematurely shutting down the coal plants factored in to get the real cost of it.

THERE IS NO NEED TO SHUT DOWN THESE COAL PLANTS.

Clearly there are some giant sized commie EGOS at work in this frivolous stupidity.

Comment

No Provincial utility debt shown in your graph - but maybe that's because the Province doesn't own the utility? - it's owned by 4 power companies. I think Alberta's "utility debt" is what consumers are paying off in instalments every time they get a power bill. Joe did a good job, but we didn't really "win" - the powerline projects went ahead and the companies that were guaranteed the 9% return on the money they didn't invest are still getting it as far as I'm aware.

Comment

As pointed out by Nikiforuk in the article on Anglin in the Tyee http://thetyee.ca/News/2011/02/08/AlbertaElectricity/ Alberta tax payers and utility customers got stuck paying for unnecessary and expensive transmission lines to export surplus electricity to the united states from co-generation in the oil sands. Essentially a blatant subsidy to the oil sands companies. Another example of the high level of corruption and mismanagement in the "one party state" of Alberta during the 40 year rule by the Conservatives.

Coal will be soon gone and cheaper gas with hydro and other renewables will take over.

Comment

Trouble is , Some people don't Understand that the STONE AGE didn't end because they ran out of Stones....

It's because they found something better to replace them with

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post
              Trouble is , Some people don't Understand that the STONE AGE didn't end because they ran out of Stones....

good thing brad got rid of some of the oil then , created lots of jobs , ndp idea was to leave it in the ground until no one needed or wanted it anymore.....

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post

Belly Laughed!!!!!..... that was priceless!

Comment

So let's see now.

People here WANT the Ab govt to own/run the utility system because they are all rocket scientists and know so much about it.

Your commie ideology has put blinders on you guys.

Here's Ontario's experience with their commies running their public utility.

[URL="http://www.ieso.ca/power-data#supply"]http://www.ieso.ca/power-data#supply[/URL]

Notice the cost of the electricity and a little item called THE GLOBAL ADJUSTMENT, the people have to also pay.
                  Some people in Ontario have to decide if they pay their utility bill or eat.
                  Some have had their electricity cut off in cold winter weather because they couldn't pay their bill.
                  No small wonder businesses are leaving for the US where they can buy exported Ontario power for much cheaper cost.

You can also google Ontario Hydro to find out about the pathetic history of their "stranded debt'.

Google Manitoba Hydro's coming financial disaster planned by the NDP where the company debt will rocket to about $25Bil in a matter of 5 to 10 years, if they do not make any changes.
                  And that is NOT including the provincial govt debt.

Quebec Hydro has provincial govt run since day one and in spite of the fact they have ripped off one of the smallest and least powerful provinces Newf/Lab by stealing their electricity, they still have $36bil of debt.

But you guys still think that somehow the new commie party of Ab with their extravagant plans are smarter than all these people and will take us to the Promised Land.

Yeah, right!

It takes one hell of a demented, twisted mind to be sitting on the world's third largest oil reserves and make it into a bloody NEGATIVE.

Comment

Originally posted by RWT101 View Post
                    So let's see now.

People here WANT the Ab govt to own/run the utility system because they are all rocket scientists and know so much about it.

Your commie ideology has put blinders on you guys.
                    Don't know about anybody else but I certainly wasn't suggesting that. I was just setting the record straight on what actually happened in AB.

Comment

No problem.

We all come here to get informed and learn something!

Have a gr8 day!

Comment

RWT. Why did you leave out mentioning the Crown owned Saskpower? A state owned utility that provides relatively good service and rates in a very rural province which is currently governed by conservatives.

They are also planning significant investments in wind and solar to increase capacity.

I am not sure why you are equating crown owned utilities with communism?

The bigger issue across the country is bad management decisions many of which occurred prior to any push for renewables.

Comment

One line on the utility bill shouldn't be forgotten
                          "Demand charges" are quite significant to greater than 50KVA users as well as using any amount of of electricity at all (such as the oil industry). For the total startup amps of a single 5 HP motor run for a minute or so in any multimonth period generates an a bill of some $80.00 bucks for several following months. That's on top of the monthly meter charge and any real electrical consumption charges.
                          All demand charges are justified because of the potential of having to upgrade capacity of the system.

Now just why shouldn't the wind farm and solar sites be saddled with the costs of necessary system improvement that they cause.

They'd be looking at their share of $500,000 per km of new high voltage lines; and certainly $25,000 per km for fiber optics communication lines that someone has to pay for...and over a million for each transformer at the interconnecting station and still we a fed shit about how ridiculously cheap electricity is going to get.

Comment

I realize this is an old post but I read this in a CBC comment yesterday and checked the math very interesting.

A wind project is doing well to operate at a 33% power factor. In other words, these turbines over time produce at a rate of 200 MW not 600 MW. Over a year at 3.7 cents a kWh the gross revenue will be $64.8 million. Operations,maintenance, land leasing, insurance, parts, administration, service contracts, taxes, etc, estimated at the low end of the range will be about 1.5 cents a kWh. That means expenses will be $27.4 million, leaving $37.5 million in net income.

So from a $1 billion dollar investment they will net $37.5 million per year? Does this make sense to anyone on agriville? There must be something we are not being told! Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                              I realize this is an old post but I read this in a CBC comment yesterday and checked the math very interesting.

A wind project is doing well to operate at a 33% power factor. In other words, these turbines over time produce at a rate of 200 MW not 600 MW. Over a year at 3.7 cents a kWh the gross revenue will be $64.8 million. Operations,maintenance, land leasing, insurance, parts, administration, service contracts, taxes, etc, estimated at the low end of the range will be about 1.5 cents a kWh. That means expenses will be $27.4 million, leaving $37.5 million in net income.

So from a $1 billion dollar investment they will net $37.5 million per year? Does this make sense to anyone on agriville? There must be something we are not being told! Just my opinion.
                              Not to mention you still need a base load supply when the wind don’t blow.

Comment

Quote "Now that I would like to see, me thinks you have your decimal in wrong place,o look there goes another flying pig." Unquote

Horse ....You know that the US Army has stated that "if you put enough thrust behind a pig....it will fly just fine"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.