• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Barley

Any guesses where we are headed? S Alberta around $200 now
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Barley Oct 6 2017 SK avg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	777749

Flat to lower I have to believe. Hearing some unit trains of US corn getting traded into feed lot ally in Alberta. CAD may be grinding that to a halt for a bit here though.

Comment

I don't know, you tell me.
      I thought they said lots of good malt barley to pick from....only so much gets selected (but i think lots of delivered rejected malt barley gets "selected" or is that rejected)

Not alot of feed wheat and durum this year....unless you consider all that carry-over trash durum as feed.

A smaller overall crop in the dry areas....

What else?

Comment

Thanks Happy sounds about right
        Elevator bids for cash corn @ around $130/t CAD for much of the Dakotas and parts of Minn will likely keep a lid on Lethbridge prices
        Sask prices might see a bit of an increase from present levels. A few offers at $160 are out there. $175 Apr/May

Comment

Growers appear storing their unpriced feed / malt barley into the new tax year. This is supporting feed barley bids in southern Alberta for the near-term. But U.S. corn has been railed into Lethbridge area as economics of higher barley prices trigger some ration substitution.

Without fresh barley export sales, this price strength may be a local cash barley pricing opportunity (IMO). Malt sales appear covered . . . .

Comment

Makes me shake my head everytime I hear feedlot alleys threat to use corn instead of barley. I know they use some at times but only a fairly small percentage of the ration. You can't switch back and forth between feed grains overnight it's too hard on the cattle and can have big losses, not to mention dedicated feed bins and equipment set up for barley. And the biggest reason they can't is that it makes the fat a yellow color and has a different taste from barley fed beef, nothing wrong with that but the Packers require a uniform product and that does not fit the mold. There has been a trend towards using more feed wheat in recent years though.

We sell lots of feed grains to interior of bc, buyers there threaten the same thing about corn but when you ask them about it Chicken barns are limited to 15% corn or same problem for discolored fat.

I figure it's mostly a bargaining chip to push prices lower.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
              Makes me shake my head everytime I hear feedlot alleys threat to use corn instead of barley. I know they use some at times but only a fairly small percentage of the ration. You can't switch back and forth between feed grains overnight it's too hard on the cattle and can have big losses, not to mention dedicated feed bins and equipment set up for barley. And the biggest reason they can't is that it makes the fat a yellow color and has a different taste from barley fed beef, nothing wrong with that but the Packers require a uniform product and that does not fit the mold. There has been a trend towards using more feed wheat in recent years though.

We sell lots of feed grains to interior of bc, buyers there threaten the same thing about corn but when you ask them about it Chicken barns are limited to 15% corn or same problem for discolored fat.

I figure it's mostly a bargaining chip to push prices lower.
              I think corn is used a lot more frequently than you are implying. Not a problem on the packer end as most of the beef goes into the US anyway where they are used to corn fed not that weird barley tasting stuff.

Comment

Jerry Klassen commentry on barley/corn from today's Cattleman.
                [URL="http://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/2017/10/06/tight-barley-supplies-will-encourage-corn-imports/?utm_source=GFM+Publications&utm_campaign=f95ab67b a3-Canadian+Cattlemen+daily+enews+Oct+07%2C+2017&utm_ medium=email&utm_term=0_2da8244677-f95ab67ba3-88078361"]http://https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/2017/10/06/tight-barley-supplies-will-encourage-corn-imports/?utm_source=GFM+Publications&utm_campaign=f95ab67b a3-Canadian+Cattlemen+daily+enews+Oct+07%2C+2017&utm_ medium=email&utm_term=0_2da8244677-f95ab67ba3-88078361[/URL]

Comment

The strength of the Cdn dollar will be a factor as well heading into the winter. A further rise in the loonie would allow U.S. corn to become more competitive.

Southern Alberta feedlots now appear purchasing barley for Oct movement between $207 to $212/MT delivered. Hotter energy corn has been recently landed at $215/MT track. To me, U.S. corn prices appear vulnerable to further weakness heading toward early winter given rising yield estimates. USDA report is released next Thursday. Average yields might exceed 170 bu/acre. We'll all know soon . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
                    The strength of the Cdn dollar will be a factor as well heading into the winter. A further rise in the loonie would allow U.S. corn to become more competitive.

Southern Alberta feedlots now appear purchasing barley for Oct movement between $207 to $212/MT delivered. Hotter energy corn has been recently landed at $215/MT track. To me, U.S. corn prices appear vulnerable to further weakness heading toward early winter given rising yield estimates. USDA report is released next Thursday. Average yields might exceed 170 bu/acre. We'll all know soon . . . .
                    Hence the reason little barley deliberately planted to sell for feed anymore. Sad when the whole cattle feeding sector in western Canada was set up to use up our barley.

Comment

we sold ours for $3.35 right from combine . no bag saved 23-30 cents . no fungicide , fair return. it was probably malt , but when I heard about the low px discount , said to hell with the malt game . they can shove malt up their ass for all I care. from now on will grow high yielding feed if any barley at all
                      Last edited by caseih; Oct 7, 2017, 08:43.

Comment

Disappointing to see corn coming in from a grain seller perspective that's for sure. However, you have to be able to supply a value added market with volume at a competitive price or you lose it and that is what is happening here as a result of declining barley acres. If the cattle feeding industry is to survive here we need more sources of feed grain, probably wheat as someone suggested earlier in this thread. it will not survive however on imported corn(IMHO) as we cannot be competitive for the feeder cattle with the US long term. I grow grain and feed cattle and generally don't grow as much barley in the rotation as we used too. We have found feed wheat a much better alternative most years at least for the grain side of the farm. Still prefer to feed barley but selling the feed wheat and buying feed barley has been a good trade. Future of western Canadian feeding industry will include a lot of wheat though I think.

Comment

Originally posted by BFW View Post
                          Disappointing to see corn coming in from a grain seller perspective that's for sure. However, you have to be able to supply a value added market with volume at a competitive price or you lose it and that is what is happening here as a result of declining barley acres. If the cattle feeding industry is to survive here we need more sources of feed grain, probably wheat as someone suggested earlier in this thread. it will not survive however on imported corn(IMHO) as we cannot be competitive for the feeder cattle with the US long term. I grow grain and feed cattle and generally don't grow as much barley in the rotation as we used too. We have found feed wheat a much better alternative most years at least for the grain side of the farm. Still prefer to feed barley but selling the feed wheat and buying feed barley has been a good trade. Future of western Canadian feeding industry will include a lot of wheat though I think.
                          Think so too. More options for wheat from grower perspective and it often yields more tons and energy per acre than barley in areas. At least that's how it goes here. Will see more ddg's, wheat, etc supplementing a shrinking barley supply.

Comment

5000 mt of us corn traded into Lethbridge for $209/mt today.

2000 mt traded into the same at $212 on Wednesday

2500 my traded into the same at $216 2 weeks ago.

Not a good sign for barely bids.

Comment

Feed will be worth more than the shitty malt price. Hang on.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.