• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permission to Hunt on Farmland ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission to Hunt on Farmland ?

Is now the time to press the political parties(in Sask) to bring forth policy, followed by legislation, assuring farmers, acreage owners and others living in the country side, "that hunters, will only enter on to land to hunt legally,,,with permission of the land owner or operator/landowner."

I'm so beyond tired, of people or groups hunting or crossing my land to hunt, unknown to me and without permission.

I'm not always out on my land in huge, obvious equipment( ie combine or 4WD), nor are my smaller pieces painted bright florescent orange. Also,,, often jobs I'm working on don't always stir up plenty of dust, like the days prior to zero till.

Try walking around the front or back yard of someone in the city, then try quading around their front or back yards. Don't even think about walking around their yards with a loaded rifle.

This bullshit about hunting the provinces wildlife on farm land has gone on too long. IMHO

With both the Sask Party and NDP having leadership contests which will likely involve policy review, perhaps now is the time to bring this forward to politicians. I'm not necessarily saying no hunting, but rather make it mandatory to ask for permission. And in granting permission, I'd hope farmers would have their own written document, signed by both, copies to both, stipulating what land locations, what days and whether they'll be hunting before 12 noon or after 12 noon, or all day.

Is there support for this?

I agree, hunters should not be allowed to crawl around our property at will. A while back, it was so foggy and our neighbour drove his kids to school because gunshot was heard near and kids had to stand at road to wait for bus. We have had a bullet go through sidewall of car tire. A gun was pointed at our friend's son on a ski-doo. Over the years, this has continued and nothing changes in terms of laws.

Comment

Originally posted by danny W1M View Post
      Is now the time to press the political parties(in Sask) to bring forth policy, followed by legislation, assuring farmers, acreage owners and others living in the country side, "that hunters, will only enter on to land to hunt legally,,,with permission of the land owner or operator/landowner."

I'm so beyond tired, of people or groups hunting or crossing my land to hunt, unknown to me and without permission.

I'm not always out on my land in huge, obvious equipment( ie combine or 4WD), nor are my smaller pieces painted bright florescent orange. Also,,, often jobs I'm working on don't always stir up plenty of dust, like the days prior to zero till.

Try walking around the front or back yard of someone in the city, then try quading around their front or back yards. Don't even think about walking around their yards with a loaded rifle.

This bullshit about hunting the provinces wildlife on farm land has gone on too long. IMHO

With both the Sask Party and NDP having leadership contests which will likely involve policy review, perhaps now is the time to bring this forward to politicians. I'm not necessarily saying no hunting, but rather make it mandatory to ask for permission. And in granting permission, I'd hope farmers would have their own written document, signed by both, copies to both, stipulating what land locations, what days and whether they'll be hunting before 12 noon or after 12 noon, or all day.

Is there support for this?
      Even if it was law, would it be enforced? For decades in Ontario the law has been that any farmland was automatically considered to be no trespassing without having to be posted. No police department will respond to a rural trespassing call, CO’s will if it’s a hunter but it’ll take a couple weeks.

Comment

Clubroot issue going to raise its head on trespassing?? It should

Comment

they drove right through standing red clover on ours this year . nieghbors caught them driving through standing crop . nothing was even done ? this area east borders the pasquia hills . from August until there is enough snow after freeze up to fill the ruts all the dirt roads are near impassable . farmers that farm all that land have to bounce their riggin over that all fall . they can't legally use atv's so they plow down muddy dirt roads with jacked up trucks with mudder tires and that's ok ??? where in the **** is SARM on this issue ??? and now they can plow through club root infested fields and then drive on ours ? ..... there is major road damage done in this RM every week from August until freeze up

Comment

It’s time to get tough the valley has city kids arriving all summer and think the rural is their play ground first rain mud roads and drive through fields.

Comment

I've been complaining about this for years. Wait till someone gets hurt on your land and the liability is passed onto you. Hunting season or also known as check out yards for theft later on season. The sask party should have been asked about their thoughts on this during their leadership deal, mind you they would just bullshit their way around it most likely. No one gives a shit about rural trespassing period.

Comment

Grassfarmer, this must be an issue that even you must have had in Europe. From what I have read in the past isn't trespassing a serious problem there. People showing up from urban areas and having a picnic in a cropped field? Squatting on private land and nothing can be done? Or am I wrong.

Comment

Run in to the same problem here every year. When confronted they make excuses for being there or I have even had guys get upset at me for confronting them when they were hunting on my Home quarter within 500m of buildings with no permission. I allow hunting to individuals who ask and try not to let too many people in at once in order to give those that asked first a good chance at getting something. I give permission slips saying when and where they can hunt. This way I have a pretty good ideas who is on the property.
                  I have started to post land the last two years and I’m not sure if that has helped anything. Changing the law would.

Comment

You know I thought I would inquire about charging people to hunt on my land. Bird hunters especially. I thought well I could charge X amount for hunting on this section and so on. You would have exclusive rights to that area for say a week or longer if you pay more. Make up a proper contract with the liability issues covered and whatever other stipulations you need. Well the game wardens said no way because now I'm an outfitter. So if you think anyone is interested in solving this issue your sniffing too much gas. The views on agricultural land is this...plain and simple....You acquire the rights of that land through purchase for the use of growing a crop or grazing animals only! You must also pay the taxes to the rm for this privilege. When others decide to use it for their recreational enjoyment that's their right. Try and stop them.

Comment

Here is the story from years ago....deer hunting season....one group on east side of pasture on gravel road heading west ...asked them wtf are you doing ....hunting they said ...I said you don't have permission. ...their response is its not posted....ok....

5 minutes later

Go to the west side and another group is heading east from highway....wtf are you guys doing ....hunting. ...you don't have permission and are you with the guys coming at you from the east....nope and it's not posted...

I looked at the guy and said well shoot at each other....

Stupid ignorant ****s. ...both groups....

And guess who's fault it would be if they did shoot each other....

A solution is every hunter has to buy an RM map and it's color coded as to hunting. ...and permission and routes have to be discussed with landowner prior to hunting...

Some guys are out a month in advance asking....can't say no because they are proactive and there is usually a gift....
                      Last edited by bucket; Jan 3, 2018, 15:33.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        Here is the story from years ago....deer hunting season....one group on east side of pasture on gravel road heading west ...asked them wtf are you doing ....hunting they said ...I said you don't have permission. ...their response is its not posted....ok....

5 minutes later

Go to the west side and another group is heading east from highway....wtf are you guys doing ....hunting. ...you don't have permission and are you with the guys coming at you from the east....nope and it's not posted...

I looked at the guy and said well shoot at each other....

Stupid ignorant ****s. ...both groups....

And guess who's fault it would be if they did shoot each other....

My solution is every hunter has to buy an RM map and it's color coded as to hunting. ...and permission and routes have to be discussed with landowner prior to hunting...

Some guys are out a month in advance asking....can't say no because they are proactive and there is usually a gift....

Comment

I presented this idea to one of the rm's I have land in. It was turned down flat. Zero interest in it whatsoever.

Comment

Far as I am concerned, the owner, renter or taxpayer own the land and possess enjoyment of same, not the government or any unauthorized person. When I am King, they will have sole rights to the use of the land and anything he has fed on it. If farmers won’t enforce their rights and make a motion at every RM annual meeting, I guess we’ll let any gun-toting funseeker free reign. I don’t appreciate stray bullets that travel much furrher than one can see, flying around the countryside and through farmyards. If it seems like you have woke a sleeping bear, maybe you did.

Comment

Unfortunately times have changed and respect isn’t there like it was 20 years ago for city or non-farmers hunting or snowmobiling. Last year hundreds of farmers found out how “No trespassing” or “No Snowmobiling” signs worked....when they had crop left in the field!!
                              Technically the RCMP will press charges on anyone who drives a snowmobile across your land without permission but you have to catch the trespasser and pass on the name.

Outfitters claiming rights to an entire RM while a farmer gets a fine for charging for hunting access or doing his own guiding is just ridiculous. No farmer should let outfitters on their property and this would end quickly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.