• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"lending" out equipment

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"lending" out equipment

So... This past summer and neighbour asked if they could borrow our tractor and baler... He's a young guy who works for a small biz in the neighborhood... Has horses... Has 60 acres.

I said yeah just grab our Deere 8220 and 567 it has netwrap and makes nice bales...

He had issues with the PTO adapter and the loader hoses came loose and he ran over them... I said whatever shit breaks don't worry about it... Few weeks later he wants to borrow tractor and baler picker... I said yeah when I'm done come grab it...

Didn't think much of it... Neighbours help neighbours... But am I out of line thinking he should at least fuel the tractor up and pay for the netwrap he used? Both times it left our yard fueled up and the baler had a brand new roll of wrap. Both times came back with a half tank of fuel and he needed 3/4 of a roll of meshwrap... And we do use Deere high quality stuff which is a bit spendy...

I don't wanna be "that guy"... But if I borrow something it always comes back with at least a full tank of fuel and if I broke anything it's fixed..

You have been a good enough neighbor to lend your equipment for free. Nothing wrong with asking him to fuel tractor up when it comes back and replace consumables. If he simply can’t afford to then he shouldn’t have horses.

Comment

Hopefully he can repay the favor somehow someday......even if he can't or doesn't, karma will pay you back! Kinda sappy eh!

Edit....I said Karma....not Farma. ;-)
      Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 8, 2017, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
        So... This past summer and neighbour asked if they could borrow our tractor and baler... He's a young guy who works for a small biz in the neighborhood... Has horses... Has 60 acres.

I said yeah just grab our Deere 8220 and 567 it has netwrap and makes nice bales...

He had issues with the PTO adapter and the loader hoses came loose and he ran over them... I said whatever shit breaks don't worry about it... Few weeks later he wants to borrow tractor and baler picker... I said yeah when I'm done come grab it...

Didn't think much of it... Neighbours help neighbours... But am I out of line thinking he should at least fuel the tractor up and pay for the netwrap he used? Both times it left our yard fueled up and the baler had a brand new roll of wrap. Both times came back with a half tank of fuel and he needed 3/4 of a roll of meshwrap... And we do use Deere high quality stuff which is a bit spendy...

I don't wanna be "that guy"... But if I borrow something it always comes back with at least a full tank of fuel and if I broke anything it's fixed..
        he's not a good nieghbor at all , just a user . send him a bill if he is ignorant enough not to fuel it up . we helped assholes around here like that for years , they figure the world owes them a living . when they get a chance to repay you , they forget ........ anyways equip is to expensive to let just anyone use it . plus every hour on the meter costs big money

Comment

You were a good neighbour lending out your equipment to him,for free. I would have done the same. A good neighbour would return the tractor full of fuel,any thing broke fixed and a full roll of net wrap! This is what I would have done if I borrowed your tractor and baler. Too bad you were taken advantage. Hopefully he will repay you somehow in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            he's not a good nieghbor at all , just a user . send him a bill if he is ignorant enough not to fuel it up . we helped assholes around here like that for years , they figure the world owes them a living . when they get a chance to repay you , they forget ........ anyways equip is to expensive to let just anyone use it . plus every hour on the meter costs big money
            I have spent years "helping" folks out in a similar fashion. It is strange that most frequently the end result is not as expected. I never used to be selfish but Now I am just a miserable ass trying to maintain 25 years of what I have earned/paid for.

This not the right thing to say, but I had a friend tell me once "no good deed goes unpunished."

I didnt want to understand it, but this can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post

Klause, you will find neighbours helping neighbours will often turn into a very one sided affair. I would be charging for fuel, any repairs that are due to his stupidity and netwrap for sure.

Comment

........also, huge difference between helping out and enabling.

Comment

Your neighbor must be Ndp....you work for it so he can use it for nothing🤣

Comment

It seems everyone has a neighbor like that. Had one who always borrowed a truck and brought it back empty so I loaned it to him and fuel guage was on empty and when it came back it was below empty I don't think there was even fumes left in tank. Now my stuff is usually not available when he needs it.

Comment

Nobody borrows for free any where near us, if you dream of another's help, first question is how much would you charge? Is fuel included? You break it you pay for it. No free lunch, everybody gets along just fine.

Comment

There are always users and it is up to us to divorce them.
                        This young guy sounds like he needs an education his dad obviously never gave him. Do it gently and you may have a good neighbor after. If he cant learn then at least you gave him the opportunity.

Comment

Even BTO's feel free to come over and hook on to your Wishek and use for weeks, it comes back unserviced - nice!

Comment

Unfortunately there are guys out there that aren't bad guys but they seemingly where never taught good neighbourly practice. In our area the guys that take advantage of neighbours find themselves on there own very quickly. Most need a prompting that fuel cost and wrap cost are such and such and when could they come over and straighten it up? If money is an issue take beef in exchange. We have been through this and I would say most just need an education of what proper borrowing practices are.

Comment

If your going to borrow, set the ground rules before it leaves the yard, not that hard to do. Fill that tank with fuel before it leaves yard, point it out to the neighbor, that's how it's to return. Also applies to servicing as well. Pretty simple, some neighbors just need a friendly reminder.

I have no problem helping out the neighbors and by doing this there is never no hard feelings!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.