• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impressive harvest action video - Monette Farms by EpicJib Aerial Media

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like getting the finger from PET, all over again !

That's exactly what Trudeau's policy is aiming to due.
    They don't want that mom and pop business anymore, too much shady stuff going on. They don't want you doing your own taxes, only professionals with arms length to do them. They trust accounts and lawyers more than farmers and businessmen/women.

Trudeau calls them loopholes, yet nobody, including media, is asking Trudeau about what tax loopholes his trust fund uses(or the fact the trust fund IS A LOOPHOLE).

Often, while driving around checking crop, I'll wonder to myself, how different things would have been back in the day when there were families living on all those farmsteads.

Comment

Jealous of what vvalk? Having no vegetation growing outside a 90 day window, no birds, no trees and no diversity? I get more pleasure bringing an acre of my own land back to a healthy productive state through regenerative agriculture than owning thousands of the kind depicted here. When are farmers going to smarten up and realise that big doesn't equal success? Needing to farm more land each year or each generation to sustain the family is a sign on failure not success. What excites me is the growing number of new entrants proving that it's possible to make a decent living off a quarter section - that's the future and would regenerate rural communities that bucket commented on.

The type of fossil fuel farming depicted here doesn't impress me - it's just moving other people's money around versus creating wealth from the land by pure solar conversion. An example of how far removed from reality this is getting is the 2 page spread in Agdealer today from a JD dealer offering "combine wash packages" at $799. So you get done combining, send the combines away to be washed and jet off to Hawaii for the winter all the while bemoaning how you can't make a living with current prices and there is no hope for the next generation to take over the farm.

Comment

Often, while driving around checking crop, I'll wonder to myself, how different things would have been back in the day when there were families living on all those farmsteads.

How is it any different for other business people. There used to be corner stores all across towns and cities everywhere until 7-11 showed up. Family run corner stores history.

Your downtown was most likely lined with family run small business outlets, possibly grocery stores, clothing stores, hardware stores, etc. Walmart comes to town and shut everyone down.
        That's the way things are. Farmers are going to face the same fact. Nobody will be able to compete with these low commodity prices. It's an unfortunate reality but the powers that be will drive this industry onto the same road as the above mentioned business'.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post

How is it any different for other business people. There used to be corner stores all across towns and cities everywhere until 7-11 showed up. Family run corner stores history.

Your downtown was most likely lined with family run small business outlets, possibly grocery stores, clothing stores, hardware stores, etc. Walmart comes to town and shut everyone down.
          That's the way things are. Farmers are going to face the same fact. Nobody will be able to compete with these low commodity prices. It's an unfortunate reality but the powers that be will drive this industry onto the same road as the above mentioned business'.
          True cause consumers want more and cheaper. Food, clothes, widgets etc. Efficiencies put more out of work and who pays to keep them? That is the problem I see coming. Maybe tax the piss out of the multinationals but give preferential treatment to smaller domestic corps and small businesses. They employ more people and create more wealth domestically. The tax changes stifle the mom and pop businessmen and do little to the Walmarts. Corporate fascism

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Sort of explains why Trudeau wants a piece of the action.....

At one time all that land was farmed by many families that made a community where rinks were alive in the winter and baseball fields in the summer...along with full school enrollments adding additional people with full staff. ...

It's great to look at and not jealous but there is a bigger story than just 12 perfectly spaced GPS controlled combines....

Some are missing the point. ....

One thought....efficiency will make this a Bland, sterile and lifeless landscape as Captain John Palliser predicted. ....

I agree, corporate farms have a different ring to the average Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by danny W1M View Post
              Thought they were doing soybeans? Maybe not as I see there outta Swift.

Here's their website, [URL="http://www.monettefarms.ca/"]http://www.monettefarms.ca/[/URL]

What's bigger than a BTO? Need a new acronym.
              looks like soybeans to me. maybe 30 bpa?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                Jealous of what vvalk? Having no vegetation growing outside a 90 day window, no birds, no trees and no diversity? I get more pleasure bringing an acre of my own land back to a healthy productive state through regenerative agriculture than owning thousands of the kind depicted here. When are farmers going to smarten up and realise that big doesn't equal success? Needing to farm more land each year or each generation to sustain the family is a sign on failure not success. What excites me is the growing number of new entrants proving that it's possible to make a decent living off a quarter section - that's the future and would regenerate rural communities that bucket commented on.

The type of fossil fuel farming depicted here doesn't impress me - it's just moving other people's money around versus creating wealth from the land by pure solar conversion. An example of how far removed from reality this is getting is the 2 page spread in Agdealer today from a JD dealer offering "combine wash packages" at $799. So you get done combining, send the combines away to be washed and jet off to Hawaii for the winter all the while bemoaning how you can't make a living with current prices and there is no hope for the next generation to take over the farm.
                So it's not for you. So be it. Just say that But your comments were negative and petty. "Fossil fuel" farming?!!! Really? Making a living off a 1/4 section? What if you kids want to farm? For sure need income over 3 generations minimum so now it's 50 acres. Now you have to expand right?

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                  So it's not for you. So be it. Just say that But your comments were negative and petty. "Fossil fuel" farming?!!! Really? Making a living off a 1/4 section? What if you kids want to farm? For sure need income over 3 generations minimum so now it's 50 acres. Now you have to expand right?
                  And you think they use more fossil fuel per acre then you do? What's the footprint of 160 acre individual farms.

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                    Go back and read my first two sentences in my original post and you'll see it was your interpretation that was off not my comments. You were the one springing the jealousy accusation which was negative and petty. Fossil fuel costs on the quarter section places? running a quad and putting a couple hundred hours annually on a $9000 tractor. Grossing north of a quarter million dollars a year. Sure these guys might expand but they can afford to buy the land with the money they are making - they might get another quarter or two in time but they'll never need 20 or 100 quarters because they are playing a smarter game.

Comment

Go back and read my first two sentences in my original post and you'll see it was your interpretation that was off not my comments. You were the one springing the jealousy accusation which was negative and petty. Fossil fuel costs on the quarter section places? running a quad and putting a couple hundred hours annually on a $9000 tractor. Grossing north of a quarter million dollars a year. Sure these guys might expand but they can afford to buy the land with the money they are making - they might get another quarter or two in time but they'll never need 20 or 100 quarters because they are playing a smarter game.
                      Have any examples of that type of farm that you could point out? Genuinely curious, not arguing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjolnir View Post
                        Have any examples of that type of farm that you could point out? Genuinely curious, not arguing.
                        There are lots of examples - mostly new entrants to agriculture, direct marketing, livestock based, stacking enterprises. Usually based on the Joel Salatin model below.

[URL="http://vimeo.com/81468461"]http://https://vimeo.com/81468461[/URL]

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I just see a bland, sterile, lifeless, chemical, industrial and mechanical scene.
                          What klause was talking about in another thread leads me to this image of a healthy, sustainable landscape in which we produce our food. You'll maybe have to google it to expand and read the detail.
                          [ATTACH]2124[/ATTACH]
                          Thst doesnt impress local landlords. $124.00/acre cash rent and harvest my entire farm in 14 hours is the only way to go.

Comment

There are other methods to make a living on rural properties but they require a lot of planning and effort and marketing. Nobody is going to make a drone video of that boring stuff.
                            It takes more than observation and philosophy to succeed alternatively and a strong character to stay with it. My helper is of the new generation and never farmed. He notes grain spills from swing auger, tipped over sample pails, old samples, leaky bin doors etc etc. He says he could make a living on spilled grain. I say, ok, start collecting the spills and show me.
                            He needs a "kicker" elevator office cleaner if anyone knows where to buy and a price.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                              Yep 70000 or is it 90000acres now X $100/acre loss. -$9million
                              This can go the other way, a gain of $9 million.

Comment

Mom and Pop

Those little store owners in room 101 now. If the 800 acre farms were still here, so would the store/restraints.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.