• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns for the farm/ranch

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns for the farm/ranch

I am looking to buy a gun (for farm purposes) to kill critters that might pose a threat to my livestock. I am not much of a hunter. What are your recommendations? I recently got my gun license.

Originally posted by RayTurner View Post
    I am looking to buy a gun (for farm purposes) to kill critters that might pose a threat to my livestock. I am not much of a hunter. What are your recommendations? I recently got my gun license.
    I was in your position. I lost $15,000 to a porcupine one year. Got my FAC, Picked up a used WWII Lee-Enfield .303 for $200. Bolt action, open sights. Dogs treed a porcupine a week later. Went for the rifle. Put a single shell in it. Move to about 12 feet away. Turned the porky inside out.

.303 may have been a mistake. Ammo is almost never on sale. On the other hand, I've only put about 20 shells through it, and the price on the gun was right.

Probably you will want a scope.

Comment

I use a 22 magnum, hollow bullets, with a 3x7 scope anything in a 100 yards is done. Squirilles to pigeons to coyotes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.