• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2487.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	777767

Well as the six months of growing season comes so close to a end, yea its 6 months and thats usually it in Canada. We have to seed grow and harvest a crop. No F#$K ups like other countries can have, you get one chance to get things right miss a step screw up take a week off at wrong time and you have issues. Seeding to early or two late can make or break a farm. Rain here their and not on this farm can make some farmers look like a genius and others wondering WTF happened.

Farming in Canada probably one of the toughest places in the world to grow a crop and were trying to compete with Argentina, Brazil Australia europe and USA plus now Russia etc. Yea i kind of am losing my mind trying to think how we can compete with 675000 combines and 428000 quarters of land and a Federal Gov that wants to Add a Carbon tax and make us like Europe. Then their is the Chineese buying up land and whats the great plan their. 60 to 100 acre rent is good if you can get it but how does one pay if India quits the lentils and peas. Just saying happy happy happy is turning to WTF just happened.

We might actually be the last generation to till this land we have called home for generations. Sad but nothing is adding up any more.

Example you need 60 plus wheat every year to make money.

You need 62 Canola and 70 peas and 102 barley and 166 oats to make a buck.

Oh wait you also need moisture. So far this fall that is in short supply and doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon.

One funny observation is how many sales people drop in call or text about specials on every thing from Bins from spring to combines they purchased to used equipment and new thats having birthdays. Hell swathers at three dealerships had a 16 on the plate.

Farmers have started to cut back and most that have seen the shit show of the 80s know what it was like and how things stopped.

How does a farmer order fert and seed and his ground is so dry it wouldn't grow a dandelion let alone a crop.

Just saying the boom ended when Redland sold the land and its the cycle that goes up and down. Some don't get the down i laugh because its like the housing boom in the USA homes were priced in 300000 range then 2008 hit and whole neighbourhoods were gone.

But prices can't drop they say well it happened in Canada in the 80s with land and it will happen again with everything from equipment to bins to harrow bars to land to rent.

You can't make a go of it if your always counting on 60 bushels as a normal yield.

Its Canada like i said before.

On politics today ill drop cutting down shit for brains Trudeau. If he was a real leader he wouldn't still have Bill Morneau in Cabinet his ass would of been fired and sent packing. Thats a real leader not blaming others for his screw ups and cheating ways.

Ok were getting close to the final crop report.

The last guys to harvest finished in our area on Monday. All is done in area. Still the odd guy lighting fires but that is ending as the wind storm last week did take out a abandoned yard and a few others had guys on high alert. Fire is scary and with no SMF to stop like years ago it can get out of hand fast.

Still guys are pushing the envelope of fall tillage.

Few tried to band fert but 4mph is not getting much interest.

We still needed one more inch to get the land back.

Were landscaping water runs that the past 15 year storms cut huge cuts up to three feet deep in places. These are being filled in or slopped back but tired of destroying equipment with ruts and mud.

Rms are building up roads and grades and doing ditch work.

First fall in years to actually get something done.

Actually kind of enjoyable.

Be safe and remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop.

Name:	22426275_1928117234105952_1075510324640194956_o.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	777768

6" wet snow here ,subsoil real good here again . 1/2-2/3 of ground is juiced in this area . everything is done around here I think . we are going to do some more ditching , weather permitting

Comment

SF3.... you better hold Brad Wall accountable for Greasy Boyd's actions as well then!

I think we should bring back the stockade for public shaming..... today would be a good day to use it! And maybe a couple hundred dozen rotten eggs for anyone who cares to see if they can hit the target!

Shameless pricks.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        6" wet snow here ,subsoil real good here again . 1/2-2/3 of ground is juiced in this area . everything is done around here I think . we are going to do some more ditching , weather permitting
        Lucky bastard.... if you light up a slough with trees in it here and it will smolder away for days.... there is no moisture in the ground to prevent smoldering just below the surface. The wood is like coal, dry enough to just smolder away and fanned with wind it doesn't go out or sparks fly. Guys hate to light anything up because the risk is too high. Patiently waiting for a recharge... it doesn't look like it's going to be rain this fall that does it, we are on the verge of freeze up!

A neighbor of ours wanted to clean up a large flat slough that was loaded with cattails, he had a neighbor come in and try to disc it, made a bit of a mess. It would be very risky to light it, years of dead bull rushes and their roots and MOSS...like walking on a mattress! It would likely also smolder for days. I went over and rolled it with a land roller to try and flatten and smooth it out, then mowed it with a Schulte mower, he still doesn't want to light it and I understand why..... it is all dusty dry!

Comment

In this area east of Edmonton, there has been 3.5 inches since the start of harvest so moisture is good. Harvest is slowly being chipped away at. June seeded canola mostly made it but has some issues with green seed. Mostly canola still out with about 25% not yet harvested. The odd field of barley and oats are still out there as well. Showers yesterday and it looks like some more will go Saturday now.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            SF3.... you better hold Brad Wall accountable for Greasy Boyd's actions as well then!

I think we should bring back the stockade for public shaming..... today would be a good day to use it! And maybe a couple hundred dozen rotten eggs for anyone who cares to see if they can hit the target!

Shameless pricks.

We can raise money for "farmers for justice". I am warming up my pitching arm. By the way, who watched the World Series last night? What a game! Especially when you bet on Houston.😁

Comment

sdg,,,incredible ball game last night. Should make for a good series now.

If this is freeze up, were gonna be about 2" short in replenishing our reserves. Top looks quite dry, and will have to remember biglentils spring wind troubles from this year, for us next year.

Comment

Dirt blew int this fence line since the 20s finally time to take back my dirt.

Comment

All the crop combined and all the fields sprayed and NH3ed. The next jobs on the list was fixing up drainage, rock picking and some scrub piles to clean up.

The ground is white now so the jobs left on the list might have to wait yet another year.

Comment

Where is the happy medium, somewhere between us, Farma?

Name:	highway 35.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	766050

Comment

North of us today it was still white at 5 pm

Goodbye Taylor field.

Comment

Comment

Finished baling the other day and only got a couple thousand left to bring home. Last year we were baling in the middle of December so this is an improvement. I've been on the night shift keeping the dryer humming and moving grain around. Nothing like the smell of wheat roasting under the northern lights.

Down to 25% left and the neighbourhood is about the same with most of it canola. Ours is testing 15-17% moisture and about the same for greens. Just drug home a little vertec 3630 from a friend that I pestered about selling it since they bought a new GT batch dryer. Hasn't run in 7 years so needs some tlc.

At least the critters are doing good and looking forward to dining on the tough hay that I baled before the last rain. Pasture is done for the year anyways.

Comment

That's a beautiful picture Woodland. Everything looks so thick and lush, must be delicious for your fuzzy friends. Good luck with the new dryer🍀

Comment

Goodluck woodland i love the pictures.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.