• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask Crop insurance, screw job!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sask Crop insurance, screw job!

I just got off the phone with crop ins. I asked what there discounts will be for hi fuzz durum. They don't decide on discounts till December. But last year if you had 15% fuzz it was valued the same as 5% at a 50% value. That's not going to fly this year. She said guys with unmarketable durum are expected to clean it.
    I asked her if I'm expected to clean my 5 durum too. I think Scic is way out of line. If I am unlucky enough to have 20% fuzz in the durum I'm basically shit outta luck. I think they are just playing games. Isn't that what insurance is for? To protect me from a complete wreck? I guess not if it's fusarium. I hope the people at scic realize how much of this crap is sitting on farms right now and use some common sense when applying discounts that reflect actual market prices.
    Last edited by Casered; Oct 13, 2016, 09:08.

Looks like the only one to profit on that will be the grain cleaner guy.

Comment

This Fusarium is a huge issue and these so-called researchers should be on it like forty bears! 20% Fusarium and they think cleaning it will take it down under 1% or marketable? Sounds like a long shot to me. Maybe if it was 3 or 4 percent.

Comment

Finding a gravity table this winter not booked up will be near impossible. I was very suprised she even suggested that. She said if it's sample guys can clean it. Hardly worth it at that point. If I have unmaretable grain the price is zero and the discount should refect that. As marketable I mean feed market.
        Last edited by Casered; Oct 13, 2016, 09:34.

Comment

Crop adjuster here on Tues. Said they had their quality factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
            Crop adjuster here on Tues. Said they had their quality factors.
            I think they do on 1-5 cwad grades. It's the fusarium discount they wait till dec for.

Comment

Gravity Table

We have been cleaning durum last few days with our gravity table to lower the fuz not having much success.

The durum is light this year and some of the fuz is the same weight as the durum.

The durum we tried cleaning has around 4% fuz grades a 5 we were trying to get it to under 2%
              Ran it through one time 36% screenings that most likely be worse than a #5 and we still are at 2.4% fuz

We are going to try a second time but I think we are just waisting time
              Last edited by Jagfarms; Oct 13, 2016, 11:03.

Comment

How did those lentils turn out that you posted pics of Jag?

Comment

Grade factor may not be known till December.2 years ago they readjusted grade factor about 5 months later again to reflect the what market price ended up to be.Adjuster that year told me what he thought grade factor would be and more or less said I waisted his time measuring bins and taking samples..He was totally out to lunch on how grade factor ended up being.

Comment

Big Lentil

Our red lentils turned out ok
                    Not a huge crop but we averaged over 25bu/a
                    With some fields yielding 30+
                    They mostly graded #2 or better and some extra 3

Comment

Originally posted by Casered View Post

I just got off the phone with crop ins. I asked what there discounts will be for hi fuzz durum. They don't decide on discounts till December. But last year if you had 15% fuzz it was valued the same as 5% at a 50% value. That's not going to fly this year. She said guys with unmarketable durum are expected to clean it.
                      I asked her if I'm expected to clean my 5 durum too. I think Scic is way out of line. If I am unlucky enough to have 20% fuzz in the durum I'm basically shit outta luck. I think they are just playing games. Isn't that what insurance is for? To protect me from a complete wreck? I guess not if it's fusarium. I hope the people at scic realize how much of this crap is sitting on farms right now and use some common sense when applying discounts that reflect actual market prices.
                      I personally feel we need to step back and think about this from their perspective. If they came out with a quality factor of 50%, would you be happy? Probably not because you would want higher.

This is a very tough thing for crop insurance (and elevators) to know where the market is for high fuz grain. This is the same issue as 2014 and then, the elevators said "get rid of it for $3 per bushel and this is the last chance." In Feb things were different and in the following summer, many companies were taking high fuz wheat for over $5 per bushel.

We need to be patient. I know that is hard to do for those wanting options and maybe this years durum issues are by far greater than 2014.

Comment

Farmers are suckers for punishment. Is the 1$ ish spread between HRSW and Durum worth it? Some areas should stick to HRSW and avoid the unmarketable durum situation IMHO.
                        Last edited by biglentil; Oct 13, 2016, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                          Farmers are suckers for punishment is the 1$ ish spread between HRSW and Durum worth it. Some areas should stick to HRSW and avoid the unmarketable durum situation IMHO.
                          I think your right. Too much risk in growing durum now.

Comment

Plan on cultivating before I seed durum next year.Crop insurance only can take samples.get grade of your grain.Figure out value of that grain and get a grade factor through math not a number pulled out of the air.So if it is sample and value of sample is zero the durum should be considered zero production.

Comment

Limit on #2 Durum Fuz .5% so if your really lucky you'll make a 3 worth about $5.50 a bushel.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.