• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China pea demand does it really matter?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China pea demand does it really matter?

They have plants built under utilized and nobody thinks that should lift prices right now?

So let's suppose demand grows from there can we even get product out with our infrastructure as is? Would it not have been better to improve our transportation storage and whole entire system instead of football stadium and roads to no where?

Even if there was a huge demand who cares the minute we re late with a shipment will the Chinese cut prices as an excuse? Should be noted they are building those plants due to cheap pea prices!!!!

Have a look at yuan/USD. Incredibly bullish imo. It's gonna get way more expensive for China to bring in imports. The real seems to be on the same page as yuan. Just something to keep an eye on that'll likely limit US exports coming up

Comment

Sask Pulse is all excited about pea protein plants in China... Saying all their tonnes will br coming from Canada and it's good for our demand structure...

Except kazakstan is way closer and becoming a huge player in pulses.

And simple logistics. If they pay $9 for Kazakhstan peas ours would need to be about 6.50 in sask to compete with them price wise.

Just watch the new silk road unfold.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
        Sask Pulse is all excited about pea protein plants in China... Saying all their tonnes will br coming from Canada and it's good for our demand structure...

Except kazakstan is way closer and becoming a huge player in pulses.

And simple logistics. If they pay $9 for Kazakhstan peas ours would need to be about 6.50 in sask to compete with them price wise.

Just watch the new silk road unfold.
        My current understanding is that china is unable to buy black sea peas due to phyto issues. I know Russian and Ukraine peas are unable to be shipped to China.

Construction started on pea plants in China long before this latest drop in prices. China has been fractionating peas for at least a decade.

Comment

Demand for Dun Peas

Lately it seems like there is demand for Dun Peas.

Even on JOHNSTON'S DAILY email I get they had buyers looking for Dun Peas and I called into them and they said the price for Dun Peas is quite a bit more than yellow Peas.

Dave or Vicki can you comment on the Dun Pea market?

We have grown Dakota dun peas for about 6 years now and they are awesome Variety to grow.
          They are one of the highest yielding pea varieties in Western Canada and they stand up well for us in all kind of conditions. They do not lodge like most Peas.

Hopefully there is good marketing opportunities for Dun Peas going forward.

Comment

What quality separates the dun from the yellow?as in why do buyers prefer one over the other?

Comment

QUOTE=the big wheel;366077]What quality separates the dun from the yellow?as in why do buyers prefer one over the other?[/QUOTE]

Dave and Vicki can answer this question better than I can.

From what I know

Dun peas look totally different than yellow peas

They are green in colour and got dimples on the sides they are almost square.

Our local G3 terminal purchased them and they kept them separate from the yellow peas as they look so different but they went into the Human consumption market.

I have heard recently that Dun Peas are used in some specialty dog food.

Comment

In a decade from now china will have one belt one road infrastructure built.
                Canada will have 4 old steel tracks and trains a month behind. Nice ring roads around all the cities tho.

Iceman Out

Comment

Pea demand in China is very important to the export balance of trade, and now plays a major part in DIVERSIFID demand. By DIVERSIFIED demand I mean:
                  Peas for fractionation
                  Canning
                  Snacking
                  Grinding
                  Birdfeed
                  Sprouting
                  Demand for high quality all the way to higher bleach.

China is a very differential market which adds a necessary ingredient to the market place and often will give value to high quality peas, and value to lower quality peas. The annual demand will vary.

They buy in bulk vessel and in containers depending upon the market size and the buyer.

Maple type peas for birdseed & Sprouting has been this years most dynamic market with values of over 15$ per bushel driven by shortages in maple type peas. . This is where the dunn peas come in, as a substitution for maples. With the recent high prices the Chinese are asking for dunn peas and yes I am looking for some at work, give me a call.

We have competition on the dunns from Australia, where often they will sell at levels under us to both India and China.

Folks the world is becoming more competitive as increasing production from the FSU (Former Soviet Union) enters the market at 30 to 100$ USD/Mt at destination cheaper than us. But is it not just increasing pulse production from the FSU that impacts supply, all over the world higher prices for pulses has driven a supply increase Increasing global competition from the FSU will be challenging they can and will sell cheaper, get used to it. And they are building more capacity at ports. Putin is a driving force behind increasing agricultural export. And while we have the advantage of diverse seed supply and a mature pulse processing industry the reality of cheaper production and simpler, shorter supply chains is going to bite. And yes global production will be adjusted as a +/- by a NINA event, La or El, the reality of increasing capacity and efficiency in global production is here.

China is a very valuable market for us, as whole supplier and as an ingredient supplier: food, feed and industrial use.

As for export to China, Canada has enjoyed the privilege of trade with China in peas, we have an import permit to enter the country. Canada does not have an IP for lentils (USA does) or fava beans but Pulse Canada is working on this, the timeline of this application has not been disclosed by PULSE CANADA As I understand the FSU does not have the same IP but are under application. The timeline of an application is variable but has been know to take 3 to 5 years.

The world is changing, we will need to adapt. It is likely time to begin the reality.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...