• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stats Canada YES the report thats two months old.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stats can has never called us.
    Is it all guessed with satellites?...
    Or do they just call the mega farms?

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
      Stats can has never called us.
      Is it all guessed with satellites?...
      Or do they just call the mega farms?
      no , we're small potatoes , and they hound and threaten me constantly. you are one lucky guy !
      i always tell them when they tell me what they're wage is, we can talk. none has . apparently thats personal and confidential

Comment

got caught on the last day of the survey, so just lowered my numbers a bit more but we were down as a result of the drought...

Comment

The market either doesn't believe this doesn't care or already had this priced in. Canola closed almost back to flat meanwhile soybean soy oil and soymeal closed down more relatively. Non event.

Comment

Sorry guys, but we live in a technological era where they don't even have to ask you any more. Farmers do a good enough job paying to give all their data electronically to companies, satellites, drones....

Oh, but its just 7$ and acre..... They don't really use the data to...... Not MY data, its all wrong..... I don't have a SIM card so it can't send.......

and other silly naive replies.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
              Sorry guys, but we live in a technological era where they don't even have to ask you any more. Farmers do a good enough job paying to give all their data electronically to companies, satellites, drones....

Oh, but its just 7$ and acre..... They don't really use the data to...... Not MY data, its all wrong..... I don't have a SIM card so it can't send.......

and other silly naive replies.
              exactly , so get rid of that useless govt liberal job creator
              serious question , can our combine yield monitor with satellite for auto steer send any info ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                serious question , can our combine yield monitor with satellite for auto steer send any info ?
                Depends how new it is.

It can send a whole lot more than that if it is a jdlink or telematics capable machine.

They know when you changed oil. Acres and tons per hour. How many hrs a day you work.

How much fuel you burn.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  Only the software developer knows for sure.

Comment

Could some of you explain why you do not feel you should be providing yield information to statscan yet you complain there is no transparency in export sales, volumes, and prices? Why do you feel marketers and grain companies should be obligated to provide demand information but it is okay for farmers to refuse or even fudge their supply information?

Do you not feel it is important for governments to at least make an attempt to find markets for our grains, especially given most other grain exporting nation's governments are active promoters of their agricultural commodities including the USDA, Australia, European Commission, Brazil, Argentina, and especially Russia? Furthermore each of these with perhaps the exception of Russia provide government estimates of production. I put forward it is important for governments to know what their farmers have to sell if they are to promote sales opportunities. And it is extremely important when dealing with countries which have state buyers, especially China and other Asian countries which are our best markets.

You complain about the railroads and government not forcing them to provide service but unless you are willing to tell governments how much service is needed each year as a function of volume to be moved, you are tying the hands of regulators and giving the railroads a free pass to only provide as much service as they feel like providing.

Comment

Its not up to govts to sell. They facilitate market at best.
                      A better handle on #s is out there. It doesnt have to be cloud.
                      The rr issue fixes itself as best it can as long as users pay somehow.
                      Grass, ive never had a line 150 near 200k and yet you still sound ferret-like.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                        Could some of you explain why you do not feel you should be providing yield information to statscan yet you complain there is no transparency in export sales, volumes, and prices? Why do you feel marketers and grain companies should be obligated to provide demand information but it is okay for farmers to refuse or even fudge their supply information?

Do you not feel it is important for governments to at least make an attempt to find markets for our grains, especially given most other grain exporting nation's governments are active promoters of their agricultural commodities including the USDA, Australia, European Commission, Brazil, Argentina, and especially Russia? Furthermore each of these with perhaps the exception of Russia provide government estimates of production. I put forward it is important for governments to know what their farmers have to sell if they are to promote sales opportunities. And it is extremely important when dealing with countries which have state buyers, especially China and other Asian countries which are our best markets.

You complain about the railroads and government not forcing them to provide service but unless you are willing to tell governments how much service is needed each year as a function of volume to be moved, you are tying the hands of regulators and giving the railroads a free pass to only provide as much service as they feel like providing.
                        the railroads don't give a f$&k about you or me or the govt . proved this in 2013 ??. all statscan report is used for is to drop the market for a while , until usda comes out . do you actually think sask crop is that big with all the challenges there was this year . what the f$&k would we need rain for ??? all that report is for is to give more govt useless jobs . didn't you pay attention to all the bullshit that was spewn last fall when a third of the crop was out . proof was in the pudding when wheat hit $9 and canola $12 . and canola sure as f&$k wouldn't be $11.50-$11.80 right now if it was the canola crop they say it is . people need to wake up . you go ahead and waste your time with that outdated piece of shit , I won't
                        Last edited by caseih; Dec 6, 2017, 22:02.

Comment

NDVI
                          Drones
                          Satellite imagery
                          Boots on the ground
                          Crop Insurance reports
                          Agristability reports AGRI1
                          Terminal receipts
                          Port records. ....

And they can't figure out yearly production or yeild trends over years of data?

I think they know more than you think.

The information collected by machines and "technology" is used to market against us....not for us.
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 6, 2017, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                            Its not up to govts to sell. They facilitate market at best.
                            A better handle on #s is out there. It doesnt have to be cloud.
                            The rr issue fixes itself as best it can as long as users pay somehow.
                            Grass, ive never had a line 150 near 200k and yet you still sound ferret-like.
                            I am not saying it should be up to the governments to sell. But all of our competitor nations governments are flagging ag commodities so if we are to be competitive I think it is necessary for our government to put an equal effort to what other governments do.

And where are the better numbers? The grain trade itself? Likely, but they will not even provide sales information that farmers need. Do you really think they are going to provide farmers with credible information as to supply? They want to buy as cheap as possible so definitely not going to provide supply information that might keep farmers bins shut.

To your third point, I am not sure that farmers can afford to pay the same freight rate that RRs charge for movement of oil, or consumer goods. Efficiency comes with movement consistant movement throughout the year but that is not how grain sales work and we certainly do not have terminal storage to handle surges and ebbs in demand or supply.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              NDVI
                              Drones
                              Satellite imagery
                              Boots on the ground
                              Crop Insurance reports
                              Agristability reports AGRI1
                              Terminal receipts
                              Port records. ....

And they can't figure out yearly production or yeild trends over years of data?

I think they know more than you think.

The information collected by machines and "technology" is used to market against us....not for us.
                              Farmers complain about how slow stats can information is... we would not get a crop estimate for 20 months after harvest if we waited for agstabiltity records. Crop insurance would be another nightmare given a fed agency would have to collect data from 10 provincial government agencies.

And you complain about the intrusion of stats can phoning, I can just imagine the complaining if government people starting walking though fields for yield estimates not to mention the uproar over government spying on farmers if they gathered yield data with drones or other technology. And this does not even touch on the cost of collection using technology which on a prairie wide basis would be much higher than phone surveying.

And I really get a kick out of you thinking companies would freely give up their data to government. They are not like farmers who willingly pay for technology which provides tonnes of data to third parties for free and farmers are not even aware their data is being uploaded.

Yes there are lots of other ways to get information but will that information be available to farmers and at what cost if it even is? Like it or not, stats can yields are a check and balance against grain companies using inside information to sway the market against the farmer because they have way more information and power in the market than farmers ever will

Comment

dml....damn your quick and with good arguments.

My inclusion of Ag-Stab was to compliment the "yield trend" comments. Crop Insurance data would be pretty current...a press of a key would likely "send" information.

Don't GrainCos have to report elevator receipts and port shipments to the CGC. Current and past information of stocks and available space can be calculated from that data.

"Spying".....too late, lots of "intelligence" is already available and collected. And I really don't believe that Gov Depts don't share info.

Maybe its more about knowing and being able to control the world's most valuable under valued "COMMODITY"! Hahahaha.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.