• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another BTO bites the dust

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another BTO bites the dust

A all to common story i suggest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/two-brothers-tied-to-the-land-face-wrath-of-americas-farm-bust-1513615986

wow, 40 mil under water !bet it looked good from the road, though

Comment

farmed 50,000 ac and only worth 16 million at the peak wow.

Comment

Only owned 160 acres of it. Rest was rented.

Equipment would have been the only real equity. Even that sounds highly leveraged though.

Comment

Equipment has no equity .....it depreciates....to zero!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah equity may be the wrong word.

Asset would likely be the better terminology.

Would actually only ever depreciate to what the scrap value of the machine is.

Comment

I would imagine the only equity he would have would be profits from the good years of 6-7 dollar corn. article also says he was a potato and beet farmer. 50,000 ac of that crop mix would be pretty profitable on the way up.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Equipment has no equity .....it depreciates....to zero!!!!!!
                lots of farm tractors that were bought used have appreciated . guess you haven't tried to buy a 20 year old tractor lately ! I know they're not real dollars anymore but it's the same for all things you are buying or selling . we bought a 1995 9270 case about 15 yrs ago for 59k with 3000 hrs , could easily get $70 k now with 4800 hrs . lots of examples like that . the worst beating is at Ritchie's after 1 or 2 years and green dealerships are causing that . land is definetly a better investment , but you need the riggin too, and lots of it , especially with our narrow little window here to grow a crop . just have a look at some farm sales with 10 year old well looked after iron , you'll find it's far from worthless

Comment

The lack of iron equity is probably because the iron is leased....pay to use.

Comment

Oh but Canadian BTOs will survive

Comment

Back in 03-04 when the local BTO of the day(defined by what was considered a large farm for here at the time) hit the wall....all the land got bought up at the auction sale....and probably "averaged" close to what he paid for it. And all the land they rented found new tenants too.* I can't help but to wonder what would happen this time. We are at a dramatically different price level now compared to then. Most family farms here are reluctant to buy at the current prices, even though they may sound cheap to some people from other areas.

Recently, I said to one guy..."Do you want me put my money where my mouth is? Or will I get a chance to put my money where my mouth is?" No reply.
                      Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 19, 2017, 20:23.

Comment

When the BTO goes bust, does it really matter as long as there's more feathers in their nests than when they started? Isn't that what businesses are supposed to do, make the manager's, directors and principals money? Is it a "personal" failure to pack it in if the venture fails, yet provided the upper echelon with more feathers in their nests when they quit?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          When the BTO goes bust, does it really matter as long as there's more feathers in their nests than when they started? Isn't that what businesses are supposed to do, make the manager's, directors and principals money? Is it a "personal" failure to pack it in if the venture fails, yet provided the upper echelon with more feathers in their nests when they quit?
                          Agreed.
                          "The farm" venture failed but those guys have a pile of cash squirreled away. Its just business.

Comment

Heard this way, started with nothing so if end up with nothing, it was fun while it lasted.

Comment

just goes to show you, that the 'average' farm is likely to be wealthier than the local BTO.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.