• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planting Intentions 18

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting Intentions 18

Not much will change here in terms of cereals % will stay the same and canola will increase at expense of pulse crops.

But climate dictates our bread and butter is wheat and barley unlike western canada you guys can grow a myriad of crops.

If it doesnt rain, all chemfallow. She is pretty dry out in the field. Snow mostly gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 4GFarms View Post
      If it doesnt rain, all chemfallow. She is pretty dry out in the field. Snow mostly gone.
      Might be a good plan, that way a guy could have the summer off and make a guy feel like he's retired !!

Comment

...retired...

...so you work for Canada Post!

Comment

Easy

1200 peas
          4300 canola
          1000 oats
          500 malt barley
          3000 wheat

Reason cost cutting

Malt acres will drop off as guys are fed up
          Peas will switch to soy or lentils
          Oats is swing crop
          Canola less than this year, dropping all specialty oil and cost
          Wheat hasn’t been a bad bet and if USA stays dry spring contracting for fall will be good till then nothing contracted for fall.

We went into fall dryer than I would of liked. That one more inch would have been nice. Shift the gear to neutral and coast through 18

Comment

Wall to wall peas and selling them all to Dave. Somebody at least then will make good money on them. Me I ll be broke. Oh well

Comment

Wall to wall red lentils

Comment

USDA outlook suggests 10 more years of similar grain/oil-seed prices, barring a major weather event/maybe WAR...that will be a rural economy killer if costs keep going up!

Comment

Rotation is pretty much locked in. 25% pulses (split roughly evenly peas/lentils), 25% oilseed (mustard), 50% cereals (split between cwad and cwsp).

Comment

**** it....wall to wall canary seed.

Comment

This is a good topic because what will pay the bills in 2018 if the current high priced every thing doesnt change 2019 could be even worse.

Sharp pencil is needed.

Comment

The last time we didn't seed some fields was because they were flooded.

At this stage of my career there is no way I am not seeding. I will qualify that by saying we do have 1 to 1.5 feet of soil moisture. Below that is dry. I don't know where the moisture starts again further down then that.
                        Another qualifier is that I don't even know the name of the loans manager at the bank. That helps

Comment

You can pencil all you want, only when Mother Nature is done playing her last card in the 2018 game will we know what we need to be profitable.

.....best laid plans of mice and men.

Use the best information at your disposal but be prepared to adjust your expectations.

Comment

2000 ac feed bly underseeded to alfalfa. 100 organic flax.
                            100 organic lentils. 100 organic oats.

600 canola 420 red wheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                              2000 ac feed bly underseeded to alfalfa. 100 organic flax.
                              100 organic lentils. 100 organic oats.

600 canola 420 red wheat.
                              Need some alfalfa seed ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.