• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crowding tub hazard

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crowding tub hazard

I want to alert readers to a hazard we encountered on our Arrow crowding tub and I'm guessing it will affect the Lakeland ones too. A curious cow managed to get its head through the square on the tub door ratchet mechanism. Assume she must have done it when the tub door was open when the square piece extends beyond the door. Of course she couldn't get it back out so I had to cut some metal to release her. The company has been informed about the hazard but I'd suggest if you have one to just plate or otherwise cover the square as that would be way easier than extricating a cow. Maybe its a one in a million happening but I wouldn't want to chance it when there is such an easy fix.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	caught.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	777245

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    I want to alert readers to a hazard we encountered on our Arrow crowding tub and I'm guessing it will affect the Lakeland ones too. A curious cow managed to get its head through the square on the tub door ratchet mechanism. Assume she must have done it when the tub door was open when the square piece extends beyond the door. Of course she couldn't get it back out so I had to cut some metal to release her. The company has been informed about the hazard but I'd suggest if you have one to just plate or otherwise cover the square as that would be way easier than extricating a cow. Maybe its a one in a million happening but I wouldn't want to chance it when there is such an easy fix.
    [ATTACH]428[/ATTACH]
    Looks like she loaded your alley anyway lol. Serious flaw but not deadly which is good.

Comment

Took me a while to see the reply without quote. First posts on the new site.

Comment

give a cow an opportunity to snuff themselves, and they will

Comment

ouch

If there's a way to get in a bind they will do it. We had a heifer get her head stuck between a gate and the barn door frame that it was chained to. Except in this case she snapped the chain herself and propelled the gate at about 500 miles an hour straight at me! I really thought I was standing far enough back but obviously not quite far enough. The gate hit me, knocked me flat on the ground and broke my nose. It could have been so much worse. A hit to the side of the head and I wouldnt have been here now. September is going to be a write off as I go back in to get it fixed.

It's a dangerous business.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
            If there's a way to get in a bind they will do it. We had a heifer get her head stuck between a gate and the barn door frame that it was chained to. Except in this case she snapped the chain herself and propelled the gate at about 500 miles an hour straight at me! I really thought I was standing far enough back but obviously not quite far enough. The gate hit me, knocked me flat on the ground and broke my nose. It could have been so much worse. A hit to the side of the head and I wouldnt have been here now. September is going to be a write off as I go back in to get it fixed.

It's a dangerous business.
            It is!! don't know how many close ones I've had over the years with cow propelled gates etc. Had a weigh chute in Scotland that was a very poor design. A light vertical bar front gate and the neck catch folded flat against the chute sides. Theory was you let the animal into the chute with the front gate to hold it then pull the lever and the neck catchers came out and caught it. Nobody used squeeze chutes there back then. Problem was a wild calf would go in and hit the front gate hard enough to bounce it open which swung round and wiped out the operator of the catching lever. Had a few very close encounters with that one and it still gives me nightmares!

Comment

Mine has a cut in the 2 x 2 horizontals in your picture...somehow she got her head in sideways and couldn't get it out...still want to change to a bud box, but haven't gotten there yet....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.