• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grazing a barley feild...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grazing a barley feild...

Have some acres of barley that I left standing, hoping it would dry better for combining, however pretty lodged and tough to swath, much less won't be easy to combine...and with the snow we are supposed to get tonight, could be even worse. Was meant to be a grazing field any ways, but didn't need. So...
    Has anyone had experience with grazing a mature barley field? I have done swath grazing with dough stage barley, but not ripe barley. Will likely give small chunks at a time with electric fencing, however, is there things I should be looking out for?
    In appreciation....perfecho

Done it before with a mature hrs stand with no problems. If cows are picking snow for water even better cause less chance for grain to dough up in the belly.

Comment

We have grazed some pretty mature stuff that got away from us. We have found sometimes that you might have to add some protein to the diet if it is a ripe as being grain and straw, rather than greenfeed. A bale of alfalfa hay every so often or a protein tub would definitely make sure they clean up and keep that rumen working.

For ourselves I would be tempted to cut it with our discbine and lay it in swaths, but if it is fenced into paddocks, they will do a job of cleaning it up. The best advantage of letting it get a little bit riper is that you will have super grazing again in April/May.

Comment

If you need to supplement protein in the field don't use protein tubs use Rangebuster blocks made by ADM. They work similar to urea but use biuret instead. Get the 100% protein blocks and the cows will eat what they need and not over consume. Very cost effective but sometimes difficult to locate - UFA is supposed to stock them but often don't. Call ADM at Lethbridge as that is where they make them. Awesome product that hardly anyone knows about.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
          If you need to supplement protein in the field don't use protein tubs use Rangebuster blocks made by ADM. They work similar to urea but use biuret instead. Get the 100% protein blocks and the cows will eat what they need and not over consume. Very cost effective but sometimes difficult to locate - UFA is supposed to stock them but often don't. Call ADM at Lethbridge as that is where they make them. Awesome product that hardly anyone knows about.
          Good to know. I have priced tubs before but when I figure out the range they quote for intake they can be from $0.15 per day up over $1.23 for some brands.

Comment

We've found them to cost us 15-20c/day as the consumption is always below recommended levels. You should probably supplement the other minerals because of this. I think it would have a natural fit in grazing corn systems - I think they use it to supplement cows on corn stalks in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
              We've found them to cost us 15-20c/day as the consumption is always below recommended levels. You should probably supplement the other minerals because of this. I think it would have a natural fit in grazing corn systems - I think they use it to supplement cows on corn stalks in the US.
              I see on their site, they offer a loose mix as well. That might work pretty well with a loose mineral free choice.

Comment

I've never tried the loose form, don't know if that's new or if its available in Canada in that form. I've only worked with the blocks.

Comment

Anyone price out DDG's? Wouldn't take a bunch to balance it out and readily available. Ie Husky ethanol.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                    Anyone price out DDG's? Wouldn't take a bunch to balance it out and readily available. Ie Husky ethanol.

Afaik the greatest cost with DDGs is the trucking. But it's hard to find a source.

I think Permolex has all its DDG contracted out to feedlots. All that's left is the syrup and maybe another byproduct.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                      Afaik the greatest cost with DDGs is the trucking. But it's hard to find a source.

I think Permolex has all its DDG contracted out to feedlots. All that's left is the syrup and maybe another byproduct.
                      The one in lloydminster you could pick it up right there but you purchase through Wilbur Ellis. From what I remember when looking into it it was a cheap protein source with high phos and other minerals. Just need to balance it with more calcium I think.

Comment

alma
                        red a story that government is taken over alma .
                        no wonder this happened !
                        over 295 millions tax money put in and never did make any sense.
                        try to raise hormone free beef to Europe , build feedlots any many stupid big talk idee.
                        let us get some more comments on that
                        see ALBERTA BEEF October 16

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.