• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading commodities

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GDR View Post
    Why would you want to be short and long at the same time? Wouldn't equal volumes just cancel each other out? Or do you mean more with options where you would only lose the option cost on one side and gain full market move on the other?
    You are correct.
    For a small trader it would be an inadvertent mistake. You are short wheat in one account and you want to take position off but if you log into wrong account and buy one there rather than being flat you are now long and short. They probably aren't going to haul you to jail for this but it's something you don't want to do.

Large traders would do this to manipulate markets, especially thin markets. Suppose Minneapolis wheat (thin market) is in a tight trading range and very close to top of the range and they want to establish a short position. They may try buying aggressively with relatively small volume at a slow time of day to try and trigger all the buy stops that have accumulated above the range from the people who are short. As the market moves through the top of the range all these buy stops become market orders giving volume and a good fill price to the large trader trying to get short. Although I never traded lumber it was notorious for any stop you put in was virtually guaranteed to be hit.

If you are interested in stock market/commodity market wisdom, wit and sometimes manipulation I suggest reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator. It is a very fun and informative read.

Comment

I use RJO. Hypothetically and theoretically if hedging your trade account will only lose small amounts while you recognize your physical grain is dropping in value and you pull the pin and sell physical. Of course boredom sets in and you get an opinion on orange juice or coffee or you want to get fancy and cover your fuel exposure, which usually involves tears on your end and a phone call saying you need to pony up. Rule #1 as a grain farmer, you have a long position on everything in the bin and next year's crop and the crop after that and the crop after that until you retire. So I recommend only playing the short side. If your wrong the value of your physical goes up offsetting the loss and your breaking even on futures. Best of luck. The majority is always wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
        I use RJO. Hypothetically and theoretically if hedging your trade account will only lose small amounts while you recognize your physical grain is dropping in value and you pull the pin and sell physical. Of course boredom sets in and you get an opinion on orange juice or coffee or you want to get fancy and cover your fuel exposure, which usually involves tears on your end and a phone call saying you need to pony up. Rule #1 as a grain farmer, you have a long position on everything in the bin and next year's crop and the crop after that and the crop after that until you retire. So I recommend only playing the short side. If your wrong the value of your physical goes up offsetting the loss and your breaking even on futures. Best of luck. The majority is always wrong.
        Macdon02, your comments so true. You have made one of the most intelligent posts I have seen on AV. You should get paid for your advice. Nice to see informative comments.

Comment

Personally I think only worth hedging when new crop prices are great. Than you can get aggressive in preselling lots of production. I will buy put options from time to time on sold crop. Has worked out from time to time. Probably break even scenario so far. Lol.
          Sell enough to cover COP and have cashflow. Gamble with the rest.
          Also try to capture carry as much as possible. This does play into grain co hands somewhat as they do have gauranteed supply.

Comment

Bowerpower....IMO, nothing wrong with forward selling grain on a DDC if you're happy with the price...even if you think you've given them a "guaranteed supply"...to me whats important is you're not carrying all the price risk anymore....and "no one else's" price risk either.

Comment

The risk of grain going out of condition is a consideration but most farmers know how to store grain

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                The risk of grain going out of condition is a consideration but most farmers know how to store grain
                ......that's why I mentioned "price" risk. But you are right, there is also storage risk.

Comment

Trading commodities

Let me throw out this scenario to show how little I know:
                  I sell Dec 18 MGE at 6.37 b/c I think it's going down
                  To protect myself from a gain I buy a call for 6.52.
                  If Dec 18 goes to 6,72, I sell another Dec 18 am satisfied with that price.
                  I only have to worry about $Cdn and basis.

Comment

I buy a call for 6.52.....please explain that? A dec 18 call will cost a lot if they are even active. In my opinion trading accounts are best saved for when commodities are at extremes either way. Playing for a few pennies in the middle is mainly just for the brokers. In your example you have capped your upside and lowered your average price in one trade vs doing nothing. Only if the market sees a significant decline would you make money. Don't feel like there is a lot of reason to price 2018 production at this juncture.

And one correction if you do buy the call upside is not capped. My mistake there.
                    Last edited by Nudge; Oct 21, 2017, 18:38.

Comment

RJO. Pretty much the only thing I use for hedges is put options. The least risky. Challenge is if they are trading for a reasonable premium.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                        I'm in southern Manitoba looking to do some trading/hedging. Looking for a broker, would anyone make a comment or recommendation? any advice other than "don't do it"?
                        I realize this is late but I had to set up an account, I apologize.

Congratulations on expanding the tools you are comfortable using. Regarding ‘don’t do it’, price risk management gets a bad rap. A farm spends between $10-15/ac on crop and hail insurance, more on home and life insurance, all the while hoping to never get a return on any of it. Yet, if $5/ac is spent on price risk management without a positive return, it’s considered a waste of money.

Regarding a broker, it is better to comment on the type of broker to look for than a firm. Every firm has brokers that are better suited dealing with farmers than others. Given what you say, a full service broker would likely be well worth it. You can likely rebuild your diesel engine cheaper than your local dealer but should you?

If your objective is minimize risk and enhance income, you do not likely want to trade often, just wisely. You need a broker that understands that and realizes it’s better for everyone if you are doing what works for you, not just generating commissions trading frequently.

With that in mind, you must also realize you can’t take up too much of his/her time wanting to be spoon fed generic market information readily available on the web. You want strategies and specific recommendations, not news you can find on your own.

So contact different firms and if they don’t know who would be best suited for you to talk to, maybe you should move on. And good luck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...