• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The drought is getting real

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
    Its farmer talk. Concerns for the weather/crop. There is always one guy in the bunch who goes straight to disaster talk. Drought of 88 was like this. 2002 we didnt harvest an acre. Baled it all for feed.
    It draws out the angst and more "real time" condition descriptions from the other farmers. Its the oldest coffee shop play in the book!
    Hobby. You have had rain in your parts havent you. I hear the crops in the area look quite good. I have changed lakes to hang out at this summer so i havent been by your farm.

Comment

By the forcast for the next two weeks even mother nature is telling us to stop spending money on this crop. Farmin is like ****in a gorilla you keep on ****in till the gorilla says stop.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
        By the forcast for the next two weeks even mother nature is telling us to stop spending money on this crop. Farmin is like ****in a gorilla you keep on ****in till the gorilla says stop.
        That's so beautifully said. 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by grefer View Post
          Hobby. You have had rain in your parts havent you. I hear the crops in the area look quite good. I have changed lakes to hang out at this summer so i havent been by your farm.
          We had one big rain event 1-7/8 inch. It crusted over emerging crops and exploded weeds on the balance of acres. Toughest spring I have had in a decade. Reseeding, killing crops with rodweeder! Half this farm is a train wreck in slow motion. The other half of the farm is like my farmhand says.." pretty good ....for organic...".
          Soon the flowers will show and the questions will start.
          What are you trying to grow there?
          You think thats going to yeild?
          Whats that worth?

Then I say, its getting dry. Remember in 2002? We never harvested a bushel, baled it all!! Not this year SCIC is going to force you to combine it.....

I dont have an eye for crops. I plant it and harvest it . I dont look at the weather forecast because it would make me so upset I would be in the loony bin. I have a bunch of shrapnel that needs repairs and "should" be ready for harvest. I do plan to put in a few days of recreation time with the children.
          This all goes away with a rain. If it doesnt rain then I will be forced to talk like those guys on Letterkenny "figure it ooot!! "
          My conventional neighbor always paid top dollar for land, eventually had all new machinery. His motto was "don't worry about the money you borrowed, let the loan manager worry about it"
          Last edited by hobbyfrmr; Jul 4, 2017, 15:22.

Comment

For us this year reminds me of 2013 we were missing a few key rains then once it started what a shit show but this year seems really funny with day in day out wind. 2002 we froze in a month from now not a fun year.

Comment

With the land so dry, it is quite likely we will see frosts in august this year.

Comment

Check out StormVista model, "Ridge" and "Dome".

[URL="https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=716849&mid=6105041#M6105041"]https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=716849&mid=6105041#M6105041[/URL]

If that holds true, we'll see some real fireworks in the month of July, it'll make the 1st and the 4th seem like a paupers show.
                Last edited by danny W1M; Jul 5, 2017, 08:47.

Comment

Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for Regina area today. I don't see anything brewing yet but it is only noon. Hope some boomers bring a downpour. Go boomers!

Comment

US Accuweather shows storm clouds developing down south. Hope severe is 3 inches.

Comment

Just over 2" here all spring, so I would call it a drought here as well. I know that's more than have had but it's spooky.

If you're a commodity trader (speculating) reading this, a short position would be very perilous.

Comment

There is a considerable stretch of my part of the world that if rain came SOON could still do quite well... If this weather pattern holds for more than a couple days it is going to start burning bushels though. Market would seem to be taking a breather.

The thing that strikes me about the current market situation is the strength of the near term contract. Would seem to indicate to me that there was/is considerable open capacity to increase current inventory for future use. I could be wrong, but it would seem that a lot of high priced traders and the buyers they work for thought low prices were here to stay so why run excess inventory, especially if there was thought to be a "burdensome" supply situation, with consistent downward pressure.

For those that didn't take advantage of the low prices to stock their silos I really have no sympathy.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                          There is a considerable stretch of my part of the world that if rain came SOON could still do quite well... If this weather pattern holds for more than a couple days it is going to start burning bushels though. Market would seem to be taking a breather.

The thing that strikes me about the current market situation is the strength of the near term contract. Would seem to indicate to me that there was/is considerable open capacity to increase current inventory for future use. I could be wrong, but it would seem that a lot of high priced traders and the buyers they work for thought low prices were here to stay so why run excess inventory, especially if there was thought to be a "burdensome" supply situation, with consistent downward pressure.

For those that didn't take advantage of the low prices to stock their silos I really have no sympathy.
                          "LIKE"

Comment

25% of Any potential yield has been burnt off the top already . Not just my local area. My guess is about 40% of western Canada .
                            Some area will be more , some less .
                            It will be much high than that in 2 weeks for any areas dry already who may not get rain in the next 3 days .

Comment

Too early yet to call the crop size.

Which crops are better, the early seeded or late seeded, also too early to call. But I will, early crops best, depends when and how much the next rain event is.
                              Last edited by Rareearth; Jul 9, 2017, 10:47. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Mower conditioners starting fires regularly. That's a bad sign.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.