• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the snowstorm erase the moisture deficit across the prairies? Markets think so?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the snowstorm erase the moisture deficit across the prairies? Markets think so?

The down day in canola yesterday looked to be more technical than anything, and was in sympathy with most commodities, or was this all about the crop saving snowstorm which magically made up for months of drought in one event?

Absolutely... the drought is over...back to the regularly scheduled program of 50 bpa plus yields and a bin building program ...

sarcasm.

the dumb****led farmer. tm.

Comment

In a few days it's going to be 80% brown out here, looks like there's gonna be a little runoff to the nearest crack.

Comment

See....the subsoil will be replenished....more sarcasm.

It never ceases to amaze me that traders or industry officials can have university degrees or the like and promote this kind of nonsense to keep producers on thin margins.

One 10 degree day and the snow will be gone. And back to the 1988 drought....no sarcasm just truth.

Comment

Most likely a knee jerk reaction to the lack of previous snow cover
          Fact is soil moisture still dismal in those areas , but ya preceived snow will pressure markets a bit.
          I clearly remember the “drought busting “ rain in southern sask last May talked about by Ag experts on the radio. Well one rain don’t reverse drought conditions let alone a decent snow in March .

Comment

The ****en difference is some people "know" the difference between reality and perception. Unfortunately we are affected by both.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
              In a few days it's going to be 80% brown out here, looks like there's gonna be a little runoff to the nearest crack.
              WTF a unreal difference in landscapes! We are screwed, the mud bowl looks to be back. We could be late seeding. Snowbanks will be here till June! One more flake or a hell of a wind and OMG!Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	766278 About 3' deep in the field, and we were NOT dry last fall.

Comment

Fj. The cbc said this was an important, and valuable snowfall. Get with the program...

Comment

Tons of snow here and when it melts the ditches and rivers will run full and over flowing and millions and millions of gallons of water will disappear over a couple of weeks. None of this water will help if it is dry during the summer. The ground is frozen solid so not much if any will soak in.

We had good moisture last fall so seeding moisture will be fine but still will need rain in June.

Comment

My neighbour just installed a bunch of tile drainage with just an application .. no permit...I guess he gets to try it out now,,,,really too bad the water is coming onto my and others land so he can have dry fields..

Comment

Impressive picture, fjlip. You might have a different adjective (lol).

Really looked like our farm yards, last winter. Only, no where to pile it all. It was a bacon saver though for surviving on subsoil. So, there is a potential rainbow for you, should it turn dry.

I'm just happy this past event didn't occur last December. It was a beautiful open winter to get things caught up that we could not have counted on. I will take these small miracles, and move forward. Here, 2018 has promise.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        My neighbour just installed a bunch of tile drainage with just an application .. no permit...I guess he gets to try it out now,,,,really too bad the water is coming onto my and others land so he can have dry fields..
                        tile does not add water to downstream land. in fact it will probably help you as long as you arent trying to farm through the ditch his outlet is dumping into

Comment

Once his slough is full the water will come across mine and others...he has no permit....very frustrating...

Comment

The problem is not the tile it’s the lack of infrastructure down stream to the creeks and rivers. If our brainiacs in the government had some foresight we could fix a lot of problems with some capital works projects but sitting on the fence is easier. Blaming other governments and provinces is an easy out. All they have to do is look at the US and copy there formula. Seems to work pretty well as long as everyone is on board.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              I think you have to have an adequate outlet for any drainage project and if he doesn't have a permit if you want to stop this I am sure you can!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.