• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh boy... We really should stop growing beans up here...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh boy... We really should stop growing beans up here...

Hard enough to compete on crops we can produce well.

Interestingly Argentina has now surpassed New Orleans and Brazil's ports for soy production.

[URL="https://www.bcr.com.ar/eng/verNoticia.aspx?IdNoticia=116"]https://www.bcr.com.ar/eng/verNoticia.aspx?IdNoticia=116[/URL]

bean genetics are improving fast up here. better economics than 7 dollar peas. Demand for food and feed is increasing every day

Comment

Even Manitoba can’t compete against a country with two crops in a year and were land locked with a stupid liberal Gov.

Comment

Exactly saskfarmer we weren't locked up when the conservatives were running things were we?? Hahaha

Comment

Genetics maybe improving, but maybe at a compromise of quality? Think oil content gets borderline as we move further north, and maybe a issue meeting specs. Oil content is higher in Ontario than in Manitoba

Comment

Canola, snow, canola it is. Just too bad it is so disease prone and one company controls all the seed supplies. Been hearing about some of the incredible yields US farmers got this year. With crappy geography, climate, and government, Canuckistan will be an irrelevant third world backwater soon.

Comment

Western Canada did well when we had lower priced land equipment and grew hrs durum oats barley few pulses and canola. Now USA land prices Equipment totally nuts and Same price paid but mr farmer grow more your so good.

South america and Russia will hand us our lunch.

But keep telling the world like JT were so special.

Comment

If the only way you can pencil a profit is canola snow canola you are probably not a great farmer. i would rather have a 3 yr rotation and up my canola yield 10 bpa plus made over $200/ac on wheat this year yea wheat is real shitty lol. hard to market without giving away a bunch of profit to the elevator cos yes but still a good crop but still a good crop with very careful marketing essential. Beans here yield same as canola on a wet year, you do the math on that. Yes this year bean profits were not as good as wheat or canola but other years they were better.

one thing about the sask farmer is you guys love jumping in and out of crops. one year half the farm is lentils and they get diseased and go 10. so next year half the farm is soy and theres a drought. maybe throw 5000 ac of hemp in for a little experiment lol.

Comment

We're lovin soybeans here and they're now an important part of our rotation. Economics are good. Demand seems strong.

Comment

Bmg I never jump in our rotation has been similar since we started direct seeding. Peas or lentils canola and hrs durum or barley oats.

Tried soy for 8years it’s just not ready yet but might make it one day.
                    Tried corn years ago just did once not big area.
                    Did try chick peas before they became big then died.

So I always will try but stick with what I can grow.

But you can’t compete against South America with our costs.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                      Bmg I never jump in our rotation has been similar since we started direct seeding. Peas or lentils canola and hrs durum or barley oats.

Tried corn years ago just did once not big area.
                      Did try chick peas before they became big then died.

So I always will try but stick with what I can grow.

But you can’t compete against South America with our costs.
                      when i said sask farmer i didnt mean you. Kind of a broad generalization definately doesnt apply to all farms.

Comment

Got it.

Yes the crop jump mentality.

Comment

SF3 seems the only thing you can really do is sell out before it crashes. If you can't compete get out. I'm sure there are a couple BTO's round there willing to take on an impressive operation like yours!

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post

This statement scares me, do you really think Canadians will take an entire 8 years( 2 election cycles) to figure out that our current amateur is just not ready? Or will we learn faster than that?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Tryed beans here this year.
                              Wont bother again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.