• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterline instalation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterline instalation

Has anyone put in a barn or house waterline. I'm looking at 1/4 mile 100 psi 1,5 inch line and quoted $9400 line only. Hookup connections not included. Seems expensive but what do I know (WDIK).

Does that include the trenching? If so how deep?

Comment

I'd do 1.25" instead of 1.5" way cheaper... And gonwirh 150psi pipe it's a lot more durable....

How deep a trench?

Comment

Theyre charging enough. Using a hoe or ditch witch? FWIW you hire a hoe and do the work you can do it a lot cheaper. Go 10’ deep and for that long a stretch get a decent sized hoe not some mini track hoe pos. That’ll eat up money. Stick with 1.5” line for that distance. You can step down. Use culverts for risers and make use of ground heat.

Comment

Samhill what kind of pipe are you using?

We're using HDPE (high density polyethylene) and it's much cheaper and tougher than your regular black plastic pipe from the coop. We've put in 3 miles of it and are currently putting in another 3 right now. We're using 2 inch 160 psi DR11 and I believe it cost $1.11/ft. You either use compression fittings or hot fuse ($50 a day rents the machine) splices and fittings in. Last year we put in 1.5 inch and it was $0.77/ft I believe. We are doing our own trenching but got growing forward money for some of it and they said $7/meter was about the going rate. Your quote seems way high.

If you want more info ask away.

We put in 1.25 miles of regular black plastic pipe before we switched and would never go back.

Comment

Just curious why you pump water 3 miles. Well or Dugout not more practical? Shortage of ground water? Do you need an in line pump at all or will a well pump push it that far?

Comment

Waterline

Thanks for replies all, going in 6 feet deep with HDPE DR 17. And yeah 1.5 inch b/c pushing it 1/4 mile. I thot pipe should be about $3 a foot but maybe I'm outa the ballpark.
              Not sure what they use to put it in the dirt but it's all soft ground
              I'm late with answer tonite, Momma and my 48 anniversary tonite, quiet but some good friends.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                Thanks for replies all, going in 6 feet deep with HDPE DR 17. And yeah 1.5 inch b/c pushing it 1/4 mile. I thot pipe should be about $3 a foot but maybe I'm outa the ballpark.
                Not sure what they use to put it in the dirt but it's all soft ground
                I'm late with answer tonite, Momma and my 48 anniversary tonite, quiet but some good friends.
                Congratulations samhill!
                I hope I can make it to 48 years. My amazing wife and I are coming up to 8 years and it ain't perfect but I can't complain.

We put in DR 17 and DR 11 and the price difference was minimal but the wall strength was way tougher with the 11. I'd recommend to shop around for the line as some outfits here in Edmonton were 2 and 3 times the money for the same product as others. We bought our line, fittings, and fusion tool rental all from different places as the price differences were atrocious. Good luck whichever way you go and you'll really enjoy the finished product.

Comment

Waterline

Thanks Woodland, the years fly, hope yours are as good as ours. Guess will put my shopping cap on, good info.

Comment

Just returning from Maui via Vegas, the land of all you can eat crab buffets and miles of walking. We are right behind you Samhill at 46 years and still talking😸

Comment

Waterline

Sumdum, I'd say Vegas odds on you are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                        Just curious why you pump water 3 miles. Well or Dugout not more practical? Shortage of ground water? Do you need an in line pump at all or will a well pump push it that far?
                        This is to have winter water on 6 quarters that we would like to graze or feed on. Each quarter has a dugout but they are all in low areas and we aren't able to make them into gravity systems. The longest line will be two miles and there is two half mile branch lines off it. The well puts out 20 gpm and our calculations say we should get 8 gpm or so at the end of the line which will be fine as our homemade tire waterers hold 600 to 1000 gallons so there's some reserve there as well. We're almost at our goal where cows will not have to set foot in a dugout to drink which will be nice.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.