• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybean results. ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybean results. ...

Not too many guys bragging around here. There were some real management wrecks this year with too much RoundUp Ready tech in the rotation.

Volunteer rr canola from 7 years ago on some fields. Are they still saying they'll come out and pick them from fields? Haha they would be busy.

But ended up 46 bushel average. Lentils ended up 42 average. Should have seeded more. But how do you know. The experts all said not to seed them they ended up best idea for me anyways.
    Final lentils lentils lentils.

Comment

Not the greatest in this area. Showed potential in areas where soil moisture held on.
      Some small plot data from the Rack in the mid 40's .
      Most field results were 25 - 35.
      Top pods did not finish , probably 25-30%, both dried out with no August rain and damage from early September frost.
      There are several varieties that beat the frost . Those ones will be the focus from this area north .
      Should be some good (40-50 bus) yields west of here when they come off.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Not the greatest in this area. Showed potential in areas where soil moisture held on.
        Some small plot data from the Rack in the mid 40's .
        Most field results were 25 - 35.
        Top pods did not finish , probably 25-30%, both dried out with no August rain and damage from early September frost.
        There are several varieties that beat the frost . Those ones will be the focus from this area north .
        Should be some good (40-50 bus) yields west of here when they come off.
        Not good in se mb. Guys will be hard pressed to average 35. More likely low 30s. Needed august rain.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
          Volunteer rr canola from 7 years ago on some fields. Are they still saying they'll come out and pick them from fields? Haha they would be busy.

But ended up 46 bushel average. Lentils ended up 42 average. Should have seeded more. But how do you know. The experts all said not to seed them they ended up best idea for me anyways.
          Final lentils lentils lentils.
          Are you trying to tell us you had a 46 bpa soybean average and 42 bpa lentil average in the same area with soybeans already harvested??

Starting to sound like Big Wheel has a Big Story.
          Last edited by Oliver88; Oct 7, 2017, 09:59.

Comment

So BTO is really big wheel.

Comment

I seed early if it don't work i reseed it's a gamble and it paid off. Didn't do anything special but changed varieties some of which seemed to really like the weather we had. If it bothers you so much maybe stop farming from the pike manual on how to be a farmer!!!!
              Canola, peas, flax ended up disappointing but weren't as bad as some i ve heard. So it is what it is.

Did it rain today for you guys? Just wondering if today your in a drought or your flooding it appears to change by the hour. While people really struck by those two extremes aren't complaining but they should be. But your bullshit diminishes their plights.
              Have a great green with envy day!!!

Comment

No it didn’t but our soil is gaining each shower so next is starting to look great as I go up and down and no sloughs.

Ah pike you mentioned yea he tried to farm by me I’m on stuff he use to farm probably yielding same as he would of got in two crops. Don’t use his book.

All crops came out ok here except a 1000 acres to the west of me. Oh well it didnt rain their all year and that’s where the weather station sits. Darn Deere ones are expensive.

Comment

We should all know that the only thing holding us back from achieving that which we think is impossible is looser purse strings. Gotta spend it to make it! I'm positive that had I laid down some extra inputs I could have saved my beans from the withering heat and moisture deficit of July and August. I could have turned a 4.5bu/ac crop into a whopper!

As I take my tongue out of my cheek I'll level with you and tell you that Soy is a horrible investment in my little piece of DRYland paradise. The crop has some unique advantages in a crop rotation, but dependability of rainfall is anything but certain in the Special Areas. Perhaps if i hired some migrant labor to pick the pods that were laying on the ground and throw them through the combine thrashing machine style I could have boosted that yield from 4.5 to 6 or 7. Even at 7, it would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of a $140/ac loss, with fuel and repairs not included in that number.

Comment

Our crops usually yield less than neighbourhood because we have a calibrated scale on our grain cart that everything goes through. Also, our bean yields aren't seed dealer yields.

RR2Xtended NSC Starcity looked the best and made 37. Watsons didn't look as good but made 40.

The extend system is a great weed control system though. Starcity first pods were too close to the ground.

Comment

I've been told to throw a little N at them with the seed to get then to pod higher. No first hand experience

Comment

Seems to be a problem with the extend beans . Our Dylanos were on the ground . Lost bottom 2 or three pods.

Comment

Helmsdale....a buddy of mine from Alta explained "Special Areas" to me....probably needs special attention and methods farming in it.

I always thought we were kinda lucky here when it came to rain but maybe not lucky enough to consistently grow a moisture loving long season crop like soybeans.

I may have to wait for the short season drought tolerant varieties that will yield half a much as the standard ones.

....a local bid here recently of $10.65

Comment

They were also poor on IDC.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                              Seems to be a problem with the extend beans . Our Dylanos were on the ground . Lost bottom 2 or three pods.
                              Is the herbicide stunting the plant height? Would be interesting to see if an unsprayed check strip would have higher pod set.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.