• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola seeding date

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    I consider myself green though ..
    yes I just went around a goose nest in the middle of a field
    Had one goose actively sitting in a nest on a lump of straw. Was going to move the whole deal over onto my previous pass, looked no eggs, thought it best she find a new place to lay em.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
      So what are you folks seeing for soil temps? Field we grew corn in last year and grazed over winter has a great litter cover on it really preserving moisture compared to the other fields. I measured it today and reckoned it to be 4.5C at 2" mid afternoon.

We also had a lot of alfalfa killed by frost last week.
      frost will never kill alfalfa , just sets it back

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        I consider myself green though ..
        yes I just went around a goose nest in the middle of a field
        The only thing I'll drive around is burrowing owl dens. But I haven't seen any for a few years now.

Comment

Soil temp back to 12 today .
          Did drop to 5 in Friday ave , but really that’s the last thing to look at May 13 now

Comment

Started canola yesterday. Seeding a bit deeper than usual to hit moisture. In fact about 1 plate shallower on a Deere drill than barley and wheat about an inch. This is the earliest in I don’t know how many years we got rolling. Even so drill depth is variable enough if we got froze there’d be enough seeds left to sprout from the bowls of the earth. Seen that 10 years ago. Everyone with disc and paralink had near freeze outs. Guys running shovels, and older type drills didn’t. Wasn’t about black soil any more than seed depth.

Comment

Canola coming up here. Always the first thing in the ground started seeding canola April 28th

Comment

Volunteer canola coming up here. Striped flea beetles keeping it in chec

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                  Volunteer canola coming up here. Striped flea beetles keeping it in chec
                  Theyre just thick here , several on every volunteer plant . Sprayer windshield covered with the little bastards

Comment

Just started seeding canola. Going to be very uneven germ if it doesn’t rain soon.

We’ve been way to wet for about 10 years and now it’s going the other way.

Grain buyers seem oblivious to how dry it’s getting.

Bins are locked here on old crop and no new crop pricing other than some canola we did awhile ago that starting to wish we hadn’t.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...